Olds Cutlass 5 speed shifter knob

oldslover

Hey huys, maybe one of you can help. One of the things I want to replace in my '89 Cutlass International 5 speed is the shifter knob. It's got a wear spot on the top after all these years and miles of shifting and I'd like to replace it to tidy it up inside.

I know they're not available anymore or at least that's what my local dealer told me anyway. Does anyone know the thread size [if it's threaded on]? How does it come off, I didn't want to mess anything up so I thought I'd ask first.

The shifter knob on the newer Trans Am's and Z/28's 6 speeds look similar and I like that Hurst H on the top too :) Anyone know?

Thanks

It should be held on by a torx bit thats on the front of the shifter, you can see it if you pull it into 2nd. BTW i might know of a yard w/one so I'll tell you.

No. not all the 5 spd w bodies use the same shifter. the lumina is the only one with a flat shaft and a set screw.

I'm not sure if the cutlass uses the same thread as the GP or not, but the GP leather shift knob is still available from the dealer.

WOW, quick replies! Okay guys just went out in the garage, looked around and it does appear to be a set screw in the front of the shifter knob/handle. I never even noticed this before, it's about mid way up on the front surface. I guess those Hurst 6 speed knobs wont work because they're screw on. I'll take it off tomorrow and check better.

I was told it was no longer available. I guess the upholstery shop could redo it?

THANKS!

How do you know it's threaded? The original poster doesn't even know. Here's what I'm going by. My CS is an 89 5 speed, so is his. I'd say 99.9% for sure he has the flat bar. So he's pretty much SOL for finding a different knob.

Hey, didn't want to start a fued :) It's definately a set screw but I'd have never known if I didn't ask. I guess I'll call another Olds dealer to double check then ask the upholstery shop to redo it if not. It's a small wear spot but it's irritating. I had new gas, brake and clutch pedal pads installed because of them having wear drove me nuts, I am a prefectionist to say the least.

THANKS everyone.

If you cant find the flat style, you may be able to swap out the shifter for the threaded style. Thats what I did cause the Lumina knobs are gay as hell.

(and i missed the part in brackets about it being a question on the original post).

I need to find a GP shifter too.... That would be nice to be able to put any shift knob I want on there... I agree, the lumina knob is the gayest gay that ever gayed, and the cutlass one isn't so bad, but mine is worn too.

Okay guys, THANKS!

Justin, I just noticed in your photos what I thought was an Olds Omega but I see it's a Pontiac, Ventura?.

I just sold my aunts 1976 Omega, I thought I'd keep it after her passing but after 8 months of no where to store it and being in the way I offered it for sale and it went quick. It was a very neat car, very rare options and color: Hugger Orange :) I come from a long history of Olds family members, my uncle owned Shaull Oldsmobile in PA until recently.

Here's the CarDomain site I set up on it:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=434260

I left it up for people to still see but I took out alot of the details since it's been sold.

It was a nice car, for the right person. All the orange, with the orange wheels w/ whitewalls and tan top was a bit too much for me though and I didn't want to alter it. I had it verbally "appraised" for $5500+ and the collector car guides said $3500-$5700 based on condition with options [not taking into consideration the rare color]. I had it at a Myrtle Beach car show back in July and a guy offered $4000, I wish I had taken it now. I had it priced at $3500, then down to $2500 within a week when a guy haggled me down to $2250 and I sold it. The very next day the guy who offered $3500 called back but it was too late.

My wife hated it, she said she'd never seen such an ugly car. It got mixed reviews, it was either love it or hate it. I thought of keeping it but with a 2 car garage and 3 cars I had no room [my International is garaged :)]. Rather than let it set out for the first time in it's life I decided it was best to just let it go. A guy from Maine bought it [never even saw it except for photos], it's on it's way there and I hope he likes it because it's his now, as-is/where-is. It wasn't perfect but it was super nice for a 28 year old car. I don't think that 260 V8 would do what yours does in that photo :)

Well, I'm told the shifter handle is not avaialble through GM. I haven't asked the upholstery shop yet if they can/will redo it but that's my only hope I guess.

I looked at one of those 6 speed shifter knobs and it's fatter, shorter and I see no way to make it work in my application, dangit!

Guest TurboSedan
If you cant find the flat style, you may be able to swap out the shifter for the threaded style. Thats what I did cause the Lumina knobs are gay as hell.

(and i missed the part in brackets about it being a question on the original post).

my CS has a GP shifter; it bolted right in. i do like the Cutlass style shift knob better though, even though you can't screw on a different shift knob like you can with the GP shifter.

btw, i have an extra GP shifter for sale if ayone wants one.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

sorry i haven't gotten back to you, i haven't had a car for a few months now and haven't been able to go to the j/y in quite a while. there is a junkyard in Buffalo, WY and one in Douglas, WY that have a couple of GP's i can get cables from tho - i'm still not sure on price tho (probably pretty cheap).

anywayz, yesterday my brother and i got my GTS running and driving, so i finally have transportation :!: i finished swapping my 2nd Getrag 282 into my CS a couple of weeks ago but i still haven't driven it - i broke both exhaust bolts off inside the rear exhaust manifold so i need another manifold before i can drive it :? i'll try to get to the j/y asap and let you know...

joshua

• 4 weeks later...