Rubber vacuum fitting replacement?What would be a good replacement for this rubber va

ron350

What would be a good replacement for this rubber vacuum fitting from a 96 Regal 3800II motor?

This is one of the 2 rubber vacuum fittings on the side of the throttle body.

The small end of the rubber vacuum fitting fits on a .250â€OD tube and the large adapts up to a .400â€OD tube.

I don’t know if the 3100 motor used this rubber fitting but there had to be a lot of 3800II motors that used the same rubber fitting.

RegalVacuumFitting005A.jpg

Vacu-tite should have similar vacuum fittings like that available at any auto parts chain. They're not going to be OEM quality, but they should last you a couple of years.

Mfewtrail thanks for the reply and the tip about vacu-tite.

I have never heard about vacu-tite before and will check them out at Auto-zone.

It is sad they don’t make vacuum fittings in silicone.

Mfewtrail thanks for the reply and the tip about vacu-tite.

I have never heard about vacu-tite before and will check them out at Auto-zone.

It is sad they don’t make vacuum fittings in silicone.

Better quality ones would go a long way for sure. I think the rubber composition makes all the difference in a factory fitting vs. a typical aftermarket one. In general, I see factory W's 20-25 years old with vacuum fittings that are still in reasonably good condition. If someone has a source for those, I'm all ears. If not, I bet money could be made in reproducing some quality pieces. I would buy a variety of elbows or straight fittings in various sizes just to have on hand. I do know one thing from handling fresh OEM vacuum fittings, the material is considerably more dense/harder than the replacement stuff.

That is so true. I see the vacu-tite stuff get cracks in the rubber way sooner. I usually try and pocket as many of those as I can on salvage jobs if you get on a low mileage car to pick them off of.

I usually try to grab a full vacuum line set whenever I go to the yards. After a while, I accumulated a stockpile of vacuum lines and fittings. First gens seem to eat those 3-way check valves periodically, so those are good to have on hand too.

I drove my L36 for over 2 years with one I made, it was a hunk of 1/4" rubber line, and a piece of 3/8". I streched the 3/8" out really far with needle nose pliers and shoved the 1/4" inside it before it had time to shrink back down. Wasn't pretty but it was stuff I had sitting in a drawer at the time and it worked dandy.

ive been using cheap silicone vac hose with rtv and that self bonding silicone tape to make my own vac fittings.

i even made a mandrel for a completely silicone LIM T (1/8"x1/4"x1/8")

its expensive but still cheaper than a new OEM vac harness...just for one T that isnt a universal ugly ass pos

the evolution of my diy T

oem on left, final evolution/assembly, and last the "tape only" fail (real finicky about even tension, and the original mandrel design sucked lol)

middle tested to -22"hg without collapsing or leaking.

ive made 3 so far over the years

IMG_0420.jpg