I hope someone can help..

cutlasssupremepizza

I am pretty car smart but most of the cars I usually work on are out of the 80's and pretty simple compared to today's "sensor on the sensor" computerized stuff.

I bought a 1995 olds cutlass supreme cheap and been putting the usually parts that need replaced on a cheap car, struts, tie rods, etc.

When I got into the brakes, it's where it gets tough.

When I drove this car home from the previous owner, the ABS and Brake light were on, and still on. I know if the ABS light is on, it's an ABS issue, if the brake light is on, it's a parking brake issue, but if BOTH are on, it's a hydraulic issue.

So when I started tearing into this car both the rear rotors were rusty, I figured maybe since it sat about 3 weeks, they simply rusted up from no use.

So get all new pads, rotors, etc, and notice no wear on the rear..

I crack the bleeder on the rear calliper, and fluid DRIBBLES out. Same with the calliper on the other rear wheel.

I look at the master cylinder and come to find out it's one huge unit with a ton of gears, sensors, drive motors, and comes with a price tag of nearly $500, which this car is simply not worth the money.

Anyone else know why the rear brakes get hardly any fluid?

Before I got back on and read your post, I poked around in the fusebox and found a relay with "GM ABS VI" printed on it. One of the pins busted off "87", which would be the output pin.

I HOPE that a $10 relay is all it needs to get back into shape, and I don't have to tear into this damn system.

I tell ya what, coming from someone who loved ford cars, this '95 is LIGHTYEARS ahead of my 1994 ford tempo in terms of various system designs.

What I also find odd is both rockauto and autzone list two different ABS relays, rockauto has mine listed as the "Warning light relay". Well obviously my warning lights would be off if I pulled it, but they are not.

You are looking for a 12135034 four pin relay.

The rock shows that Standard RY280 will replace it and most other four pin relays under the hood.

Makes me wonder why GM gave that ABS relay a special part #?

Wonder if some one was trying to disable the ABS system by breaking the tab off that relay.

The ABS will not work without that relay.

If it were mine I would pick up the correct part # at the local salvage yard.

The pin was not broken on purpose. Somehow it appears water was in the fusebox, as the contacts are corroded slightly. I used some contact cleaner and a tiny pick and made them all look like new. The ABS lights are now off with the new relay in place, but the 7 year old battery just went out, so I have bigger problems now, lol.