brake light switch? where is it under the dash?

m0sh_man

I know its connected to the brake pedal, but ive been tearing the whole dash apart(not litterally) trying to find the actual switch that triggers the rear lights when the brake is pressed. Mine needs adjusted or replaced, it has a spring attached to the brake pedal to keep it away from the switch otherwise the lights stay on all the time.

matthew

Lay on the driverside floor on your back. After you have taken off all the panels above the brake and gas pedal, look for a white switch that sits behind the brake pedal arm up on the firewall.

is it a very large white switch way up high on the brake pedal, up near the rod for the master cylinder? You have to remember that mines a 3.4L 5 speed, it might make a difference.

matthew

I have replaced mine.... Believe me I know it's tight , but thats how I did it, it is possible. You can also move that clear plastic boot where the colum goes through the firewall, that gains you some room.

Hey man, whatever works for you.......

When you get to the point of calibrating the switch,just letting you know, I never did that part. In my case, I swapped out the switch not nowing it needed to be calibrated, and afterward my brakelights stayed an all the time, so I took it to a Firestone where they calibrated it for me for like $50.00. For me that was worth it, cause my hands were all cut up, back hurt from being contorted, and just my general feeling of "i've had it".

I know when I talked to the tech guy, he said he had to "roll back the teeth". I wish I could be more usefull here. I just remember how much of a pain that was.

Lee

You don't need to pull the column. It's a pain to get to. I had to do one once, and thank goodness it was only once. I had lay the seat down and lay backwards in it with my head on the floor. I thought I might get an aneurism laying that way for so long, and it hurt the whole time.

You will curse it a lot, guaranteed. :lol:

my fiero has a pushrod 3.4L out of a 95 camaro or firebird, im not sure, it had 68kmiles on it when installed. pulls real hard upto 4700 RPM then it gets choked out from using the fiero's intake, Not enough air can get in!!!

matthew

pulls real hard upto 4700 RPM

Thats cause of that stupid fiero plenum with a 2'' throttlebody......

I have a 88 Formula.....same shit , anything over 5k, and that engine is DONE.

im going to look at an 88 formula local for $700 sometime soon, one of those friend of a friend is selling type deals.

i did go and look at a 86GT 4 speed on saturday, its real rough, $150

i have a friend at a machine shop working on a new throttle body and intake for my fiero.

matthew

BTW i fixed my brake light switch, but i still have alot of other problems.