Buying a 95 Cutlass Convertible what to look for?

tsilney

Just put the new power steering.hose in..that was a fun job..did it from the top tight space but with swivils and such gotnit changed...hoping timing belt comes tomorrow....I can get.the rear exhaust cam sprocket bolt out..it stripped..ugh...donyou think.it can still.be timed if I start on the rear banks...it looks like it is more important for.the front sprikets to.spin once they are locked down..anythoughts?...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah you can leave the rear two sprockets tight if need be, just keep an eye on the crankshaft timing mark when you actuate the tensioner. It may move requiring you to compensate the crankshaft back off the timing mark a bit so it pulls into position when the tension is applied.

It'll make sense when it happens LOL

No problem, its actually how you time the 91-93 cars because they have a lock ring setup that locks the sprockets on to the camshaft instead of the 94+ tapered rings. The 91-93 cars require a puller to pull the sprocket free from the camshaft, and that puller will not fit on the rear exhaust cam due to the strut tower being in the way. So you just leave it locked.

The only issue is that you have a fixed point there, so when you tension the belt, and you have one extra tooth of the belt between the rear exhaust cam and the intermediate shaft (driven by the crankshaft), the crankshaft will turn off of the timing mark.

Got it all put together today...fired up on the 3rd crank..seems to run good...changed trans fluid as well and it was full of metal chunks so we will see how it drives tomorrow..it goes into gears and moves so thats a plus..:)..thanks for all the help

She runs decent..hic ups a little at 2k but may have a vacuum leak..all those brittle hoses! A quick.clean up to see what was under the dirt..not bad...a old w body saved from an abusive owner who.never washed it or did any maintance...lots more work.to.do but only have 1250 bucks in her including price of car :)...needs a new ball joint before I will take her out over 40mph to see how she runs.

uqasa4e3.jpg

8apyraru.jpg

a7umu4e9.jpg

Went and got it..had a little rust and it wont start but new tires and battery..needs some tlc here and there but mostly good shape..I didnt hear the fuel pump.so thinking it could be that...or a timing belt..but for 900 bucks you cant go wrong :)

egemezej.jpg

a2uva4yr.jpg

umyjyqen.jpg

Some of the newer members to this forum look so, so young.

I remember 5 years back seeing Aquaman, Buck and August for the first time and thinking wow they look like they pass as teenagers, they just look so young.

And that leads me to now. You look even younger, you could pass as an 8-year-old, and you already have a Cutlass 'Vert. Must be incredibly hard to buy smokes or get in bars!

Just incredible, makes me feel almost old, sand of time, etc.

Some of the newer members to this forum look so, so young.

I remember 5 years back seeing Aquaman, Buck and August for the first time and thinking wow they look like they pass as teenagers, they just look so young.

And that leads me to now. You look even younger, you could pass as an 8-year-old, and you already have a Cutlass 'Vert. Must be incredibly hard to buy smokes or get in bars!

Just incredible, makes me feel almost old, sand of time, etc.

Lol thats my 12 year old in the car..he went with to buy it...im 35..he learning about cars while we restore this vert and he will probably drive it in a few years :)

That's looking great! The GTP looks nice too

Thanks! Ha the GTP is mad..shes got no.love since the cutlass arived..lol.. need to finish the intercooler install on the gtp...all in good time:)..it was neat working on a non 3800 motor for a little bit.

Thanks! Ha the GTP is mad..shes got no.love since the cutlass arived..lol.. need to finish the intercooler install on the gtp...all in good time:)..it was neat working on a non 3800 motor for a little bit.

My Cutlass and Grand Prix didn't get along either, I know this from experience.

Little AMY was too busy being a princess or some junk when original AJAM was around.

What will you do to fix your rear quarter panels in the back of the car? There is rust spots where it meets the bumper. I have that too. Just curious on the easiest fix.

Going to sand it, por15 it and paint it for a quick fix. Next year I will cut out the damaged area and weld new in for permant fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

She up and running smoothly..got her cleaned up, new ball joints and struts today..rides so much better...trans shifts hard into 2nd for the first 2mins of driving but then in shifts perfect in all gears..fun to.drive and kids love it. :) 1530 bucks total price with all new parts and the car..not bad.

syhagu2e.jpg

Nice! That's a great car for so little invested. I like the wheels painted

Thanks the paint was cracking bad on the rims so little dip covered it up..gonna get some 18s next year so this will do for now. Just wish I could upgrade the brakes..those baby brakes are so little compared to.my gxp and gtp f bodies...and they will look worse with 18s. Gonna see how the bonni gxp rims look on it.