Buying a 95 Cutlass Convertible what to look for?

tsilney

Going to be buying a 95 Vert tomorrow. Pretty excited. It doesnt run and the owner doesnt know what is wrong with it but I am guessing timing belt since it has high miles. It is in pretty good shape. Anyway what are other things to look for? I am going to be swapping a L67 into it with a 4t65 trans so not to worried about the mile or running of the 3.4 DOHC. If its something simple, I will fix to drive it befoe swap to have some enjoyment this summer before swapping over the winter.

Door handle does not work which I imagine is a easy fix and I think a common one. I have 2 grand prixs a gxp and gtp so looking forward to getting this one but any other pointers would be help full.

Thanks!

check the underside for the usual rust, see how the top and rear window look, window rubber sweeps, and then any other normal things when checking out a car :thumbsup:

check the underside for the usual rust, see how the top and rear window look, window rubber sweeps, and then any other normal things when checking out a car :thumbsup:

Sounds good. Thanks. She said top and everything works. has some minor rust under gas tank but can be fixed...new tires as well. It looks clean in pics and under 1000 bucks so its a buy either way just not to fimaliar with older w bodys.

Too bad the car doesn't run... I was going to say check the alignment. 1G W bodies are horrible to align. It's not a major issue, but more of a "thing" to know. I bought mine in really bad condition but I got it running smooth and the only major issue I need to fix now is the trans and the rear alignment.

Check for leaks!! This is the big one, these cars can and will leak where the door windows meet the top... even with the top up. Also make sure the top frame goes down straight and comes up straight.

Of course they'll leak with the top down :lol:

Not if you drive fast enough for the rain to simply swoop away.

I'm tired and I know I worded that bad... and I regret nothing...

Sounds good. Is a 95 obd 1? Its been awhile. Yeah little iffy about not driving it but I have always wanted one of these but I need a 95 with a bench in the back for the kids lol. They dont come up often at a cheap price. Kinda just looking for a shell to do the swap with anyway since I have a spare l67 and trans sitting in my garage.

95 is OBD 1.5 . For all purposes, it's OBD1 but it can't be checked with a paper clip like 93 and earlier, and it also uses OBD2 style codes. So for example, P0101 is the MAF sensor, as it would be in anything built after 1996. The only catch is that you have to get a specific cable for it, called an ALDL cable and download Tuner Pro with a definition for your specific car. What that means is there's a file that must be used in conjunction with the program that's specific to your car model and engine. The cable can be used with anything OBD1 and OBD 1.5 from General Motors, with the exception of the 95 Camaro and Corvette which interestingly got the OBD2 style connector but still were OBD 1.5.

Since you want to do the swap, you will also want to do an OBD2 conversion. The easiest way in my opinion would be to get the wiring harness from a 1996 Buick Regal since that car had a L36. Some people say the 98-99 Monte Carlo Z34 wiring harness works as well, but I cannot confirm. The computer can come from any W, AFAIK, just do your research since the newer the car, the more integrated the BCM was.

Also, as far as my last post went, I meant the roof leaks with the windows all the way up. Usually the weatherstripping becomes thin. If this is the case, you will have to have the seals custom made because they don't make them anymore. I personally made mine out of Chrysler Sebring seals. I have tamed my leaks but it still leaks. I need to tweak the seals though, but it doesn't look pretty (urethane build up so it will better seal the window).

One major thing you need to be aware of... sometimes the rear window motors don't work and if you lightly tap them, they put the window up and down. Make sure the carpet doesn't get wet, otherwise you will find your car will smell. This all relates to the leaks, although in my case nothing was saving my car from a new carpet.

For stock 96-98 l67 you need a 98 gtp pcm. For stock 99+ l67 you need a 99 gtp pcm. Imp just added 4t65 wires to his 96 regal harness but yeah, 98-99 z34 harness is easier to use. Mod the harness urself, its easy. Dont fall for zzps scam

Thanks for the info..engine and trans is outta of a 02. I gace a 98 pcm...was looking at getting a z34 harnass as thats what I read works best.

I will check for leaks and the window motors as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Went and got it..had a little rust and it wont start but new tires and battery..needs some tlc here and there but mostly good shape..I didnt hear the fuel pump.so thinking it could be that...or a timing belt..but for 900 bucks you cant go wrong :)

egemezej.jpg

a2uva4yr.jpg

umyjyqen.jpg

Nice find. You`ll have to drop the rear bumper cover and find out the extent of rust. It will be fun to work on if you find the time.:thumbsup:

Yeah the rockers look clean but owning a few wbodys I know what they could be underneith..theres some rust but teach the kid how to do some body work and engine work..and yes time will be the issue but couldnt pass it up for the price.:)

Nice find! If you know how to weld, then rust shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just cut and patch, grind down the welds and bondo the seams for a flush look and feel. I'm probably missing hella steps but ya know... the idea is what matters.

Have you tried spraying starting fluid in the throttle body? That would let you know how bad of a shape the engine is in.

Yeah gonna spray it tomorrow when I get it home..didnt want to do.that in front of them to.keep the price down..we will see what it needs..wasnt to concerned since we are gonna swap a l67 into it but would be neat if it is something simple to.enjoy it the rest of summer.

Yeah gonna spray it tomorrow when I get it home..didnt want to do.that in front of them to.keep the price down..we will see what it needs..wasnt to concerned since we are gonna swap a l67 into it but would be neat if it is something simple to.enjoy it the rest of summer.

I thought you tried investigating further upon delivery. That's why I suggested that.

Good luck with it man!

I thought you tried investigating further upon delivery. That's why I suggested that.

Good luck with it man!

Thanks..yeah its an hour away from house and didnt bring my trailer..wife had truck, but I wanted to see it and pay for it before anyone else saw it..she said she had a few people teying to look at it...lol..cant wait to get it home and cleaned up and hopefully running

• 2 weeks later...

Got her home finally..she needs a new timing belt so hopefully get it going this weekend. Claybar and wax while waiting on belt to show up..paint is in good shape so excited

Got her taken apart..shredded timing belt...figured I do all the gaskets while in there...the power steering line is leaking..that looks like a pain to do but needs to be done...New plugs and wires as well..anything else to look for while I got it tore up?

atunu7e6.jpg

a7ude7em.jpg

ave6epyz.jpg

gegajesu.jpg