Need HELP W/ my new Cutty.....won't start....more info, pg.2

AWeb80

I've sorta tracked it down to the fuel pump, it doesn't make a humming noise when i turn the key.

Heres the scoop, I had 2 gallons left in my gas tank, put fuel injector cleaner it, filled it full of 92 octane, start the car, drive .5 block when pulling away from the pumps, and it dies.

Now it turns over very strong (New battery, and it want's to start but won't), it just won't make the final effort to run.

Any Ideas? heres the PN form GMPD, GM PART # 6472020

I;m pretty sure thats the one i need.....i got class now, i'll come back and elaborate more.

Ya Scott, i was at the gas station u got batteries at for the camera, pulled up the hill and it died, i backed back down and whipped an 180, went down the hill forward, had the key on, in 5th gear, and let the clutch out and it still didn't start.

The mechanic i bought it from offered to come out when i have a night off work and bring his fuel pressure guage and test if for me. This is gonna be one helluva fun first project if it is the fuel pump.....which i'm kinda hoping, cause then I will be done with this quandry.

The only thing thats gonna suck is dealing with 16 gallons of fuel......don't really want to spill that shit since it is 92 Oct. and $1.58 gallon.

And i'm gonna need some info on this PITA job, as in, facts, How-to's, ect to do this.....anyone w/experience or diagrams, please chime in

well, if you check the pressure and its good, then I would say crank sensor.

how much is a crank sensor gonna be a PITA to change?

and how much cost?

Hmm.....well its the DOHC, so there's prolly less room than on the 3.1L, but its not too bad, on the back of the block about 3-4 inches from pulley end of the block about 1/2 way up the block. I think they run like $25 or something. Talk to a DOHC guy about changing it. I have never done it on a DOHC, and Im sure there's some tricks to getting to it

From under the car, the CPS is a piece of cake cause you have a 5 speed (5 speeds have a ton of room back there:) ). You can check the FP with the key on. Take a rag and screw driver and oress down on the shrader valve on the fuel rail (key off). Then, key on and press down with the screw driver and no rag (but have it handy). If it doesnt shoot out, your pump is shot. If it does shoot out, it could still be the pump but i would expect it to still start. Also, you can run the pump continuosly with the red wire that comes off the driver side fuse block. Just run a power wire into its connectors and the fuel pump will constantly run. You can check the flow of fuel this way with the fuel sending line detached from the fuel rail. Even high pressure can have low flow, as ive had this happen.

Also, if you have a vacuum gauge, you can check the fuel pressure regulator. The vaccum hose that goes to it is attached to the MAP sensor. Its on the front side, the closest hose to the plenum.

If you have to drop the tank, get some clean containers for the gas, and pull the fuel sending line to the rail and use that red wire to run the pump. You will need a longer hose though. Other option, pull the fuel filter (after you relieve pressure) and then run the pump and have a large clean bucket under the car to collect the fuel. That much fuel though...good luck.

It could be a bad fuel filter as well. First though...did you check the fuses? On the driver side, where that red wire is, is the fuel pump relay and the fuel/ecm fuse.

It could also be wiring to the fuel pump.

befor you drop the tank or pull the pump

syphin the gas out! that tank is going to be hella heavy with all that gas plus you dont want a gas bath when you pull the pump.

i have done one intank pump befor on a 90 lebaron. different co.. n e way the tank was already below half so we didnt have to syphin but we did have to drop the tank a little and getting the pump out was funny b/c it was some sort of key configuration holding it in. i just took a screwdriver and bent the locks on the pump key itself to get it out. the new one just droped right in.

the only problem after instalation was the gas gage didnt work after that. it was a universal pump.

the wires running to the CPS are purple and yellow, I believe (at least on the 92 they are). They run directly to the ICM (coil packs) You can check for charge AT the coil packs. Purple and yellow wires again. It is a very small electrical charge. Not sure how small, something like 900 millivolts. It will variate up and down if it is working properly.

I have done quite a few electric fuel pump instalations and for one make sure you have someone help you getting the gastank down and out and second make sure you take both battery post off before you start. If I was you while you have the gastank out go ahead and replace your sending unit and fuel filter. If you run into any problems give me a yell.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but there's a pigtail wire connector near the battery, red wire? That's your fuel pump ckt. See if you're getting power there. If you are and you have no fuel pressure, check the connection near the tank, drivers side connector, about 4-5 wires, you can disconnect and test without dropping the tank. See if you've got power at the fuel pump wire there. Note, you'll have to have someone turn the key on and off to pulse the pump on. If you've got power there, time to drop the tank.

I just remembered something else that might be a problem here.

Sat. when i picked the car up, i went to a friends house, when leaving and starting the car a "small" plum of smoke came from the steering wheel column and the smell (smelled like burning plastic) was barely noticable. When i say "small", i could barely see it. would this have something to do with it not wanting to make that last effort to run.......again, it turns over strong, just wont fireup to run.

I just remembered something else that might be a problem here.

Sat. when i picked the car up, i went to a friends house, when leaving and starting the car a "small" plum of smoke came from the steering wheel column and the smell (smelled like burning plastic) was barely noticable. When i say "small", i could barely see it. would this have something to do with it not wanting to make that last effort to run.......again, it turns over strong, just wont fireup to run.

No, thats sounds like the turn signal switch

TTT

OK, i'm gonna need a better explaination as to where that fuel valve is Vegeta and how to use the screw driver thing.

I think i might understand the posts on how to check the electicity going to the CPS

Where is the fuel filter, cause i need ot check that and want to know how to do that.

I'm kinda new to this car stuff, I bought this Cutty so that I could do this stuff......just didn't think i'd have to start after 2 days of owning it.

I talked to a kit at college here and he said to take a "dead blow" hammer to the fuel tank and see if I can get teh fuel pump to perk up again......just one of the thousand things i got to do to check to get this thing running