Fuel Pump Pulsator

pitzel

My fuel pump came with a piece of straight pipe to go where the pulsator goes. I obtained a replacement pulsator (as the factory ones are known not to be so-resistant to ethanol augmented fuels) and installed it. But anyone just do the straight piece of pipe thing?

Pipe, or hose?

Both my Luminas get filled-up with E-10 most every time. The '92 has been getting E-10 since we bought it in November '92. If ~14 years of E-10 hasn't killed the pulsator, I'd say they're reasonably resistant to the stuff. That pulsator has outlasted the original fuel pump, as did the pulsator on the '93.

Edited by Schurkey

Yeah, went to my GM service manual. It says to "remove the pulsator and shake it. If you hear the sound of trapped petrol, replace it." So obviously my pulsator was bad (and probably the cause of my starting problems in the winter).

The question was, has anyone simply omitted the pulsator when putting everything back together, and used the little piece of pipe + 2 hose clamps typically included in a fuel pump replacement kit?

I've replaced them and also just used the hose when I didn't have a replacement on hand on other cars. No issues either way. If anything you may hear a little more noise from the pump w/o the pulsator installed.

My fuel pump came with a piece of straight pipe to go where the pulsator goes... ...But anyone just do the straight piece of pipe thing?

Pipe, or hose?

has anyone simply omitted the pulsator when putting everything back together, and used the little piece of pipe + 2 hose clamps typically included in a fuel pump replacement kit?

Do you know the difference between pipe and hose?

I had put Walbro 255lph fuel pumps in my 89 CS and 90 TGP.

Bought a new pulsator for the 89. Just used a piece of hose on the TGP.

Didn't really notice a difference either way.