rsm lowering kit

cutsup1996

does anybody here have the rsm racing lowering kit on their w-body? I really want to get it and am wondering about how the rear end is done. I e-mailed them this weekend and they said that they give you different springs for the front and directions on how to lower the rear. of course they cannot tell me how to lower the rear in an e-mail cause they wouldn't be making any money, I understand that. but does anybody have this kit and if so, or not, what do they instruct you to do on lowering the rear and can I do it myself. will it require cutting metal, a welder? hope somebody knows something about this, appreciate any replies. peace

Viva la cutty

Lowering the rear entails using 'clamps' on the mono-leaf spring to have the vehicle sit at a lower stance.

The mono-leaf does sag over time and this procedure will only decrease it's life since the 'clamps' apply down pressure.

I've never been too fond of the mono-leaf modifications, so I have a tendacy to stay away from it.

However, there is a lowering mono-leaf spring made by Flex-A-Form and it's does the same job.

Or, as always, there's the route of fully completing the job and step up to coilovers.

- Erik

i have bought the rsm lowering kit and the instructions do not say anything about clamps for lowering the rear

That was what I knew a while back; last time I checked with that.

1uvakind, what's the scoop on your kit?

- Erik

i don't want to disclose rsm's way of doing the rear, but let me tell you that at the most you will only get a 3/4 " drop, you are looking at a 1/2" drop ideally. my friend works for rsm and i don't want to give away the secret for free.

the way i lowered mine was i had a custom leaf spring built for me by my local spring shop and it was lowered to the desired height that i wanted, i think i measured about a 4" drop in the rear. (i had a huge gap in the rear with my aftermarket shocks that's why i lowered it that much)

put it this way... i have big hands, and i could easily fit 4 fingers in the rear wheelwell, now i can't even fit one.

cutsup seeing as though you are from north carolina, your best bet is to go with flex-a-form cause they are located near you, and shipping won't cost much or you can even pick it up locally if you are close by.

* a word of advice, i was 100% interested in purchasing flex-a-form's leaf spring when i heard about it, i contacted george, received emails from him, but he would never answer my questions, he would always avoid them. i would continue to send him emails after to get the answers to the questions i wanted, but then he stopped responding, so i went another route.

the questions i was asking?

- how much of a drop will i get with this spring

- how much is shipping / weight of package

he always seemed to avoid these questions, and i wasn't about to fork over all that cash if i was gonna get a stock leaf spring, or a 1 inch drop, i was looking for more than 2 inches to be dropped.

my friend works for rsm and i don't want to give away the secret for free.

Not to be a butthead, but that's rediculous.

[rant] If it's that easy, RSM Racing is doing nothing but ripping off people. [/rant]

1uvakind, you won't say anything about the lowering? How lame.

- Erik

trust me... like i said before it doesn't lower the car that much, its not worth your time to do it the rsm way.... it involves cutting a rubber bushing between the leaf and the body of the car, then putting the bushing you just cut off on the bottom of the leaf pushing the leaf up closer to the car.... there, that is all thats involved.... and you get 1/2" drop.....

i had my suspension shop do the job for me, after they were done i was like did you lower the car? you couldn't even tell the rear was lowered, thats why i say don't waste your time, go with a custom leaf spring like i did, or go with the ffp coilover kits

I would get the coil over kit from FFP.

I got the coil overs on mine and they work great. I only got a 200LB spring which seems to work just fine. I would go for the ST(Suspension Techniques) front spring for a 1995 Monte Carlo. The fron will only drop around 1"- 1.2", if thats enough drop then great. I'm just doing some research on some Intrax Spings, they seem to be available and lower the car even more.

Hope that helps

the way i lowered mine was i had a custom leaf spring built for me by my local spring shop and it was lowered to the desired height that i wanted, i think i measured about a 4" drop in the rear. (i had a huge gap in the rear with my aftermarket shocks that's why i lowered it that much)

if i cant find a local shop to make a leaf spring for me, could i send you money and get a similar leaf made? im on the exact same boat as your were with Flex-a-Form. when they moved to a new complex, George just fed shit to me about the leaf being done, but the bushings were still being dyed.