New here, looking for info......

oldslover

Hi! I'm the original owner of a 1989 Olds Cutlass International Series, gray with silver gound effects. The time has come for some restoration and I'm looking for info. My car was special ordered with the 5 speed manual transmission. I've only ever seen 1 other and I'd like to determine how rare this is and the # built. Is it considered a collector car? Values? It's in great shape although it has the original paint needing attention [peeled after 2-3 years and I've touched up] but is's been a southern car so there's no rust issues. Any sites with good info? THANKS!

Guest Anonymous

First Rule: You must provide pictures...

Second Rule: You must sell me your car... cheap!

Welcome to the board and don't forget, the search function usually works. :)

Eat that Redfox!!!!

Collector car is always a term subject to interpretation. For example, my collection includes one non-operational, but very pretty 1986 Mercury Cougar. That said, I'm pretty sure your car is much more collectable than that. I don't know about '89, but in '91, only about 100 Internationals recived a manual transmission. I'd wager that number would be similar in '89.

Good luck with your restoration, and if you decide to sell it, I'll pay $100 more than redturbo90. :D

I love these cars, so I personally would consider it a collector car, but considering the market value, I'm pretty sure the general public does NOT consider it a collector car.

They are very rare. I would recommend restoring it if you like the car (I would).

If you want to restore it to possibly sell for a profit in the future, then you should consider a different project.

Hi! Well it's not for sale, sorry guys.

Photos, I tried finding out how to post them here but no luck. I have a few but usually there's a simple "attach" link.

I tried search with no luck :(

I've been told there were less than 50 '89 5 speeds ever built, I'd like to verify but I guess I'll never know.

I've kept the car pretty decent over the years and I bought it with the hopes that someday it would be worth something. Anyway, it's going out to get a new paint job [dull and some paint peel like all mid-late '80s GM's] and I need to have some minor interior work done.

Thanks!

I forgot, anyone in NY? A recent ad I was alerted to:

1989 GRAND PRIX

5spd, V6 2.8L, 200kmi, runs well, new alt, frt brakes/rotors, very rare, must sell, $500 B/O, trades West Havestraw, NY (845) 429-9367

Wow, that is pretty nice.

Maroon, resave those as jpeg.'s, they'll load faster. I'm on high speed at school right now and they were taking a minute.

I had considered doing that, but I'm lazy. But since you said please, I'll do it.

Thanks guys but remember that is right after a fresh wash and detail this weekend, I don't want to mislead you. The hood and roof looks like it's got a case of lepracy from the paint peeling and my attempts at touch ups over the years. The interior is very nice, the back bucket seats are like new since no one rode back there much, same for the passenger seat. The drivers side seat is nice but the side bolster needs a little minor upholstery work. The dash is great except the defroster vent area, it's a bit curled up due to the sun but easily fixable. The surprising thing is, EVERYTHING still works and if you know these cars you know they're "loaded up to the gills". What appears to be a rip in that passenger side seat headrest is actually just because it's in the "puffed out" mode, yes the headrests are adjustable electronicaly too. I love this car, always have and now it's going to get the paint it deserves [just the gray, the silver ground effects are still very nice] as well as any other needed cosmetics. I'd love to get a new 'International Series' hood emblem, the one on it is a bit sun faded but all the others are great still.

I really appreciate the enthusiam, no one locally has a clue what it is except for the dealership. Everyone thinks I should get rid of the old car, my wife included, but she'll go first :) One of the technicians at the local Olds dealer has been after me for 3-4 years to sell it and once I nearly did. I'd rather just keep it and use it as a pleasure car now. If it's never worth much or is never a recognized collector car it doesn't matter to me, I know what they're missing.

THANKS!

Yeah but if that's your black one in the photo then it looks like you have the sunroof too. I wish I had gotten the factory sunroof when I ordered it but..... I almost had a quality aftermarket S/R installed a couple times then talked myself out of it.

All black certainly looks different than the 2 tone gray/silver I have but it looks good.

So, I guess there were 109 5 speed equipped 91's? Any idea how many 89's had the 5 speed? I've been told less than 50 but it's likely an uneducated guess. I know the guys in the service dept at the Olds dealer said there were 2 different 5 speed transmissions, mine being the better?

I have one im parting out I havent decided whether or not Im going to use the 5 speed yet but I might have some small parts you might need so give me a yell. Thats a real nice Cutty. I would have restored the one I got but it had to much rust on the underbody. Ive seen quite a few of the around here 5 speed cars but all the 89s had 2.8s or the Quad 4s in them Ive seen. Whats yours have in it? :D

89oldscutlass:

Bristol TN? I have relatives all over that area and Blountville, etc...

Parting out, that's sad :( I'd be interested in an "International Seriers" hood emblem/madallion but it's got to be nice. I can't think of anything else though, I found an original 5 speed leather shift knob, mine is slightly worn. Maybe I should buy some hard to find parts for safe keeping?

Oh, mine is a 2.8 and it's been absolutely phenominal.

redturbo90: LOL! I said that with my "inside voice", ya know :)

I hope you're right about the # of 5 speed Cutlass's in 89, but I think it's probably more than that. Maybe Int. Series 5 speeds are that rare? Anyways, sweet car, looks familiar.

212886_7_full.jpg

212886_13_full.jpg

I started the project in pretty rough shape though.

212886_11_full.jpg

If you find any concrete production numbers, I'd like to know what they are.