94 Cutlass 4 Dr broken exterior door handle passenger side

derkach99

Another project I need to to is to fix my passenger side handle of which I broke over the winter. The inside handle works just fine and the exterior handle looks just fine but doesn't open the door. I am assuming I broke the rod going to the outside handle. And ideas? I am aware of how to pop off the interior door panel.

I keep a new left and a right door handle for my '92 and '93 Luminas in my garage for when I break them. They're total pieces of under-engineered junk.

It doesn't matter if you buy them from GM or from Dorman; they're crap. They all break in the same place. Neither GM nor Dorman has sense enough to reinforce the weak area, or to make them from better material.

LuminaDoorHandles1.jpg

LuminaDoorHandle2.jpg

Another project I need to to is to fix my passenger side handle of which I broke over the winter. The inside handle works just fine and the exterior handle looks just fine but doesn't open the door. I am assuming I broke the rod going to the outside handle. And ideas? I am aware of how to pop off the interior door panel.

Yeah I have to do this job every year or two. What happens is that a rod that goes from the notch in the door handle (see the pictures as provided above) becomes slightly distorted enough that it doesn't depress the lock releasing mechamism sufficiently.

How to fix it -- remove the door panel, get into the door, and you basically have to do everything by feel. There is an adjustment screw on the end -- if you're lucky, you can just spin the adjustment screw a few turns, and re-insert it into the notch. If you're unlucky, the entire rod has to come out, and re-bent back into shape.

Its not a matter of anything being 'broken' per se, but rather, the part has likely been bent.

You will need small a small metric wrench, I believe, a 10mm or maybe even a 8mm. To remove the handle. Basically most stuff inside the door has to be done almost 'blind' -- there's no way to actually get in and see unless you have an endoscope or something similar.

Something that helped me out was to take a trouble light, the kind that you plug into a 120VAC outlet, and replace the bulb with a compact fluorescent bulb. Insert the whole thing into the bottom of the interior of the door. Why the fluorescent bulb? To keep the heat reasonable (an incadescent will get hot and burn you!).

It doesn't matter if you buy them from GM or from Dorman; they're crap. They all break in the same place. Neither GM nor Dorman has sense enough to reinforce the weak area, or to make them from better material.

Yeah no kidding, its the crappiest pot-metal you can imagine. But I've never had that particular part that you point to break -- the problem seems to be the rod inside the door itself undergoing distortion/deformation. Especially when someone tugs on the door handle -- in my case, usually due to freezing rain or ice accretion on the overall doorframe. Or simply kids (or adults) being abusive.

• 2 months later...
Well my driver side handle finally broke. Where should i buy one from

Are they the same as 4-door Luminas? Try any convenient auto parts store.

and how can i make it blue?

Sing sad songs to it?

The old fashioned way, paint.

Wipe them down well with something to clean the wax off, then scuff them with fine paper like 400 or even better Gray Scotchbrite pads, and then paint them. If you decode your VIN you'll get the exact paint color and it's available at your local body supply. We painted my whole car.

Positive, call your local auto body supply. Most times you can get a rattlecan of touch up paint the right color, but for small stuff I use my airbrush. A total slobbering idiot couldn't make runs with it so it's right up my alley. I had a pro painter do my car though.

There are only 2 nuts holding the handles on I think they were 10mm but don't hold me to that.

Is it blue, light blue, or Aqua Metallic like my car? Dupli-color exact match will be what you want either way, I get mine from O`Rielly's auto parts. For clear coat I will not use anything else other than the Valspar brand. Best quality paint in a can that I have come across.

Edited by rich_e777

What's dupi color? And I think it's blue. It has a sparkle in the paint as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Paint company that makes car paint

Your door should have a sticker with the paint code. Check the 3 character paint code. For example mine is U41 which is black.

What's dupi color? And I think it's blue. It has a sparkle in the paint as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Can some homies get a pic? IIRC the light blue in metallic is called "Adriatic Blue" and the darker is....?

Sparkle=Metallic

What Nas said, Dupli-Color is the brand name and they sell little 6OZ or 8OZ cans of paint that will work perfect for what your are doing.