94 Cutlass side mirrors

derkach99

Is there any way to pop just the mirror out of the mirror housing? When I was cleaning the car today I realized that I had brake dust on the mirror to so I decided to scrub down the mirror. Unfortunately not only did the brake dust residue not come off but I think I scratched the hell out of the mirror. Any Ideas?

There was a time you could buy the mirror glass from a parts-store, then glue the glass to the plastic backing. Last I tried to do this with my '93 Lumina, they'd discontinued the mirror glass.

Now it's ~$50 or more at an automotive glass house for mirror glass repair.

I went to a Treasure Yard, and bought a shitload of left and right mirror assemblies complete with remote control cable.

The mirror just pops out. Go to a local car scrap yard and start pulling mirrors. I think any 88-97 Cutlass supreme mirror would work. Along with any first gen w-body mirror.

'88 housing's were metal. Might be an optical illusion but I always thought they were slightly smaller.

Someone on this site installed LED blinkers in their mirrors so they can definitely come out and go back in. I think the trick was to heat it up with a hair drier and spray some lube or soapy water in there.

if you have the power mirrors, yes, you can remove the mirror and plastic backing as one piece. All that holds it in is a + shaped rocker and 2 adjuster screws. You can carefully just pull it straight out, but try not to twist it when you do or you can break the plus thingie.

If you have the manual mirrors, its not as easy to get them out. There is a screw underneath the bottom of the actual housing, and I think 2 on top behind the mirrir itself if you adjust the mirror to face down as far as you can.

mirrorback_zps05639c1d.jpg

My 88 base model had manual mirrors. The drivers one had a little joystick to adjust it, the passenger one, you had to roll the window down to adjust it. One of my friends had an 89 SL with manual mirrors, but it had the little joystick on both sides, not just the drivers side.

Never underestimate gm's ability to do stupid things.

6592530005_large_zps86613e2c.jpg

Edited by Taylor

just a side question. The Oldsmobile logo fell off the nose of the car. It looks like the adhesive let go, my question is what should I use to put the logo back on?

can't tell you offhand. I've not needed it in years. I do have 3 new emblems for my Cutlass but I think the double sided tape on them is good.

just a side question. The Oldsmobile logo fell off the nose of the car. It looks like the adhesive let go, my question is what should I use to put the logo back on?

I used Permatex Silicone Adhesive on mine in the mid-90s sometime and it's still holding great, you can get it at Wal-Mart. It's good for all kinds of things.

• 1 month later...