Has anyone taken off the door mounted seatbelts off of a W?

Nas Escobar

I want to change the seatbelts because they're deteriorating (it's cut on the edges) and I want to replace the plastic guides that keep them in place (mine were broken when I got the car).

All help is appreciated.

Mine are 20 but might as well be 30 the way they look. I have a feeling sometime in its life my car just sat outside and was never moved. The belts are sun faded, so they're part blue part purple. There's a set of nice seat belts out of an 88 Cutlass at a yard I go to but they're blue... but it looks well taken care of for 26 year old belts.

Yes, they are removable.

Remove the door panel.

2 nuts or bolts for both the things on the bottom.

2 screws for the lower guide by the window thing.

at the top of the window, roll the window down, remove the round cover facing outside,

there is a nut or bolt thing.

Just brace the swivel part with a screwdriver at the bottom to keep it from rotating and remove the nut bolt thingie.

I recommend doing the nut thing at the top first. Gets to be a pain with swinging seat belt lower parts in the way.

Ahh ok, I was a bit thrown off by the door because it seemed others have tried at the junkyard and have failed by leaving the belt dangling.

The screwdriver would be on the "inside" part of the door right?

Has anyone tried to actually swap the seat belt though? As in take the belt out the thing that rolls the belt and replace it with a new one from another car or something of the sort?

never tried to replace the belt itself from the mechanisms.

You need to keep the upper part from trying to just rotate. I just use something hard between the belt holder part and the side of the door B-piller. That makes it so it can't just keep rotating and the bolt can loosen (its REALLY tight).