Exhaust resonator help

67eleanorgt500

Anyone know where I can get a brand new exhaust resonator for my 94' Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.4L V6 dual exhaust? It hooks up right behind the direct fit Cataylac converter.

^ I would usually agree with that, but, recently I've seen nothing at Rockauto with respect to the tubing or mufflers at all,

you might want to search Maremonts online catalog, you'll find the listing there,

*note* the exhaust under the Olds 3.4 is almost identical to the GTP piping with the exception of where that resonator is placed. (the mufflers are different)

http://www.maremont.com/application_search.php

Most use a Magnaflow performance muffler as a resonator. 4in case dia by whatever pipe dia you have. My 94 Cutlass Vert has the resonator just ahead of the axle, to the right of the fuel tank. I use the 4in dia x 18in long case size with the 2 1/2in inlet and outlet with the natural finish stainless steel. I have a vibrant ultra quiet resonator right behind the cat (that was moved forward) as well. I'm not sure what length will work in your location.

Some that work well starting with the most economical are:

flowtech red hots (louvered core, available at most auto stores) steel, less than $20

thrush glass pack (perforated core, available at most auto stores) steel less than $20

magnaflow performance muffler (perforated core, available at most auto stores) stainless steel approx $70

vibrant ultra quiet resonator (perforated core, summit racing 5in x 8in x 10 in long case) polished 304 stainless steel approx $80. I will see if I can post some pics.

happy hunting

Here are some pics, starting up front vibrant ultra quiet and Magnaflow towards the rear.yza4y6yv.jpgdyse7amy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the thing next to the cat is the muffler and not the resonator? That's interesting to know. I always thought the resonator came first then the muffler... or at least that's how it was taught to me.

Vibrant performance lists theirs (the one next to the cat) as a resonator. Magnaflow lists theirs (the one next to the axle) as a performance muff, but both are straight through perforated tube designs. I think any thing mounted in front of the "Mufflers" the factory calls a "resonator".

The mufflers I am running now are the Hooker Maximum flow's. With the two resonators the car sounds almost stock with more rumble, no raspy sound, no drone at all, perfect for top down cruising through the park visiting with the family. The sound of the exhaust is soon overcome by the tire and wind noise, not noticeable at all when cruising above 40- 45 MPH with the top up or down. It sound like Jake's only quieter. The Hooker aero chamber muffs and no Vibrant ultra quiet (their words) resonator is only a little louder, but deeper, still no drone and only a little noticeable at 55 MPH. I would put these on if I had a steel roof.

The mufflers I am running now are the Hooker Maximum flow's. With the two resonators the car sounds almost stock with more rumble, no raspy sound, no drone at all, perfect for top down cruising through the park visiting with the family. The sound of the exhaust is soon overcome by the tire and wind noise, not noticeable at all when cruising above 40- 45 MPH with the top up or down. It sound like Jake's only quieter. The Hooker aero chamber muffs and no Vibrant ultra quiet (their words) resonator is only a little louder, but deeper, still no drone and only a little noticeable at 55 MPH. I would put these on if I had a steel roof.

Have any videos what the car sounds like?

Have any videos what the car sounds like?

I uploaded them for him

[video=youtube;tqu2YFS16l8]

[video=youtube;N0IgGWMic_8]

This my exhaust started it up for the first time this year. Gutted res, and no cat with magnaflow mufflers and C6 tips. It sounds pretty good at idle and when the mufflers warm up it sounds even better under throttle. This was a cold start and was not running very long.

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/nates94/media/CSC/20140330_113955_zpsedc2b9dc.mp4.html

I uploaded them for him

[video=youtube;tqu2YFS16l8]

[video=youtube;N0IgGWMic_8]

Thanks Nas for the upload help.

Both vids are 2 1/2in. single into 2in. duals.

First vid is with a Magnaflow cat #94406 w/ built-in resonator (res doesn't help much), magnaflow muff/ res #10426 and (2) 2 1/4in. Hooker aero chambers #21501HKR (smallest they make modded to 2in.)

2nd vid is w/ magnaflow cat #94406 w/ built-in resonator (res doesn't help much), Vibrant ultra quiet resonator #1141, magnaflow muff/ res #10426 and (2) 2 1/4in. Hooker maximum flows #21601HKR (smallest they make modded to 2in.)

Just to clear things up a bit.

This my exhaust started it up for the first time this year. Gutted res, and no cat with magnaflow mufflers and C6 tips. It sounds pretty good at idle and when the mufflers warm up it sounds even better under throttle. This was a cold start and was not running very long.

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/nates94/media/CSC/20140330_113955_zpsedc2b9dc.mp4.html

Yeah I want to leave my cat on the car due to emissions. Too much much fart can sounding at revs for me.