95 Monte Carlo Sunroof Drain Clogged

Michael Savage

My sunroof leaks water inside whenever it rains. There are 2 drain holes at the top and I've put water in them and it just sits there, anyway to clean them out its terrible when you're driving then brake and water just dumps down your neck.

There's one at all four corners, just so you know. Take an air gun/ nozzle and blast 'em open with some compressed air. That's what I've done and it works great.

Yep, agreed. Heck, I've even had luck with the compressed air cans that you buy at Office Max for your computer keyboard and such.

I've looked for info on it for months and haven't heard anything, I've tried all kinda of things but never though about the air compressor

Can you get to these without removing headliner? My sunroof does this too and i just figured it was older type of sunroof and accepted as it was, didn't realize i could actually fix it.

Edited by pshojo

Just open the sunroof and turn off the car and push the open button on the sun roof repeatedly for 10 seconds and it will stay open for cleaning.

Got rid of the clogs it was funny watch a ball of gunk come flying out of the sunroof, but it's still leaking water for some reason. Not near as much but still some. Any ideas on how to prevent the water leak?

Unfortunately the track and rain channel assembly on the sunroof are riveted and sealed at all 4 corners as well. Over time, the sealant/ urethane/ silicone whatever dries out, crack and loses its seal. This is most likely the cause of the leaking. When I replaced the guides, I had to drill out the rivets and take the track/ gutter assembly apart and then eventually reassemble with rivets and silicone. In lieu of that, you could just gob some silicone into the aforementioned spots, but I think you'll still need to pull the sunroof down to do it and they're under the roof somewhat. It's not difficult to do if you can get the headliner down. It's just a bunch of 10mm nuts holding it to the roof after the HL is out of the way.