upper steering column shaft bearing?

l67ss

273k hard miles, then ignition cylinder stuck. Went to change cylinders and the steering wheel stuck. Ended up having to get very violent with it to get it off. Hence, bad bearing

i have the smallest amount of movement on mine at 204K....

i have a part number for the lower column bearings(26041864), but i'm not seeing one for the upper bearing?

i just punched the number into google and got a lot of results, some on ebay, even. i can't guarantee it though, but the description seems to match.

Mebbe ill jus grab a good used jy column....sigh

i just punched the number into google and got a lot of results, some on ebay, even. i can't guarantee it though, but the description seems to match.

Does your column have a pair of internal-star type lockwashers holding the shaft in place at the very bottom? My '92 and '93 Luminas do.

Those lockwashers used to be $30 each at the dealership, except they've been discontinued. I'd guess that generic star-washers would work just fine, except that they're huge, so nobody is going to stock them. I wouldn't even know where to order them--Fastenall, maybe.

With luck you won't need to remove that shaft, because it's practically impossible to get the column apart without ruining those retainers.

Lumina_steering_01.jpg

Best photo I have, but the star-washer retainers are not really obvious unless you know what to look for.

Lumina_steering_04.jpg

Edited by Schurkey

take the correct tools to a junkyard and strip another identical column for the parts you need.... I have a slide hammer i used with some stainless steel (stonger) screws to pull the two pins out of the 95+ round saginaw column when I have had to deeply dismember a column, if the parts is where I think you are saying it is... Certainly it's just a small part you need, only, right?

Yup the bearing is directly under the lock plate and multifunction switch

take the correct tools to a junkyard and strip another identical column for the parts you need.... I have a slide hammer i used with some stainless steel (stonger) screws to pull the two pins out of the 95+ round saginaw column when I have had to deeply dismember a column, if the parts is where I think you are saying it is... Certainly it's just a small part you need, only, right?