1995 EGR Valve Sticking Open Fixes

Michael Savage

The plague of Check Engine Light codes.

I'm looking for a fix for the EGR Valve sticking open at 45mph+. I've seen it's the Smallest valve in it sticking open. I've replaced it 5 times and cleaned and reused them. Sticks after 1000miles(my average weeks drive) is there any way to fix this.

I've thought and thought and thought about this.

Could adding a fine mesh high temperature screen fix this?

A type of small cone filter?(with some fabrications)

I'm looking for ideas or actual fixes other than rewiring to a 97 harness or something to use a new style EGR. Not everyone is willing to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cut out the side of a cereal box and install to block off all passages and delete EGR flow....they do have a gasket with a built in screen for the newer valves...the issue is carbon chunks that break free over time...you can either delete the flow to remove the problem or you can disassemble your whole exhaust side and chip out all the carbon and wait for it to come back.

with it being obd1 id block off the flow with the blank Wheaties gasket

if you're killing EGR packs that quickly, i don't think the newer EGR is going to fix it. they stick due to massive carbon buildup, which means for some reason, you're not burning your fuel correctly, or something other than fuel is getting burned(oil?).

alternatively, have you ever cleaned out the port in the manifold, that loves to get caked with carbon as well. i want to say Fehl found that sticking an old cable-driven speedometer cable in it and i think spinning it with a drill was what he did, i can see it working well.

Lol the EGR did this since 04 when my dad bought it. He cleaned it and replaced it(while it was still stock) then he gave up so the light stayed on till 2011. I replaced it and backed up again.

When we rebuilt the new engine we took a bendable connection and put a dremel in the outlet after we cleaned out all the carbon(figured that would help it from getting blocked off. Still check that everyone in a while.

And I clean them with spray carb cleaner, then fill a bucket with a can or 2 and set them in there for 1-2 days. Spray them out again over the bowl and after about 10k+ miles there's about half an inch of carbon in the bowl.

No way IDE try cardboard lol IDE just cut a piece of metal and make a delete, but I'm trying to keep it within Exhaust standards, and the Check Engine Light staying off.

Didn't see that coming, not used to that 3 solenoid EGR. You could plate the EGR off and then run 3 different 1K resistors on the wires on the plug to make the PCM think it sees the 3 solenoids. Some ECM/PCM are smart enough to notice the MAP sensor doesn't change when the EGR is commanded but that older PCM is probably too dumb.

post-4528-14368915618_thumb.jpg

Check it, see if there's power on D, the other 3 are solenoids. GM uses Pink and Brown for ignition power, the green you see could be faded light blue

3 resistors, from Ignition power (D) to the other 3, you can stick them in the plug and test it. Or just leave the EGR plugged in and block it off. I had one that I made a double thick gasket with no port hole

Edited by Imp558

Pink is probably faded to brown, I gotcha now that makes sense. I'll check them when I get to the shop in a bit and see if I can find a box of resistor that'll work

all of the PCMs that run digi EGR(W-bodies from 90-95) test them by commanding them on during a coastdown. if the PCM doesn't see a change in MAP, it will set DTCs.

Yeah but from what I've heard no one in Memphis can. There's one guy that might, but I'm not sure haven't got his number.

ive done the cardboard blockoff plenty of times and never set an egr code

with no exhaust flow the paper gasket "blockoff" never gets above engine bay temps

shove some stainless wool/wire screen into the female cavity that feeds the orifices and be done with it it your that attached

Yeah the EGR problem trying to fix is on a lot of cars but that Cardboard insert sounds interesting I'll look into trying that. If it works we can help a lot of people doing that so they don't get freaked out by false codes that are just the EGR