oil drain plug fix

Psych0matt

Anyone ever used one of the oversized plugs from the parts store that are made for stripped out threads? The 04 is leaky because supposedly someone in the past used the wrong plug and stripped it out. Was gonna get a new pan, but this would be easier, assuming they work ok. I'm not worried about it looking or being perfect, just so it doesn't leak and I can change the oil

Cause we all kno youre gonna mod it. The phrase "its my dd im not really gonna mod" is famous last words around here ;)

Didn't mod the monte :lol: I may mod this a little, but I need to fix a few issues first. This and the rad flush first, then brakes

Probably just going to see if autozone/advance has the piggyback style, where the new one is bigger and cuts into the pan, but has a smaller plug inside of it. I figure I might as well buy one for $5 and if it works save the trouble of getting a new pan, at the very least for the time being. I just don't know if anyone has tried and/or had good luck with them

^^^^ That's a horrible idea.

I have used the oversized drain plug on two cars, both of them worked great, it's a bitch to get the started but they work, you'll be draining the oil when your installing it so you mise well pick up a new filter and oil as well

Is it the PAN threads that are damaged, or the PLUG threads? Are you sure it isn't just a faulty plug GASKET?

Ford had a lot of trouble with oil pan threads tearing out. Ford couldn't cut proper threads in them, they were practically self-stripping pan threads when they left the factory.

GM has never had oil pan threads with that reputation. Sure, it could happen...but it's not likely at all.

Haven't done anything yet, but per the mechanic of the friend I bought it from said it was stripped. The plan was to do an oil change at the same time anyways. Al, is 1/2" -20 one size up for an 04? I'm walking into work and have one in my hand

Haven't done anything yet, but per the mechanic of the friend I bought it from said it was stripped.

"It" does not answer the question. Is the PAN stripped, or the PLUG? Unspecified pronouns get a person into trouble.

The plan was to do an oil change at the same time anyways. Al, is 1/2" -20 one size up for an 04? I'm walking into work and have one in my hand

I'd expect the plug to be metric, not SAE. In any event, "one size up" means FIRST OVERSIZE in the "oversize drain plug" display.

I figured when I mentioned getting a new pan, and that I stripped it "out" :lol:it would be self explanatory :dunno: the stock one iirc is 12mm (.47"), at 1.75 pitch, so I figured 1/2-20 would be the next size

Lol

I figured when I mentioned getting a new pan, and that I stripped it "out" :lol:it would be self explanatory :dunno: the stock one iirc is 12mm (.47"), at 1.75 pitch, so I figured 1/2-20 would be the next size

You'll stick with the same size drain plug, but it will just be oversize, I completely forgot to look at work but I'll be there in an hour, hopefully I remember

That's what I was wondering, but I haven't been to the store to see how they're labeled. Yeah, let me know how those work, I'll probably just pick one of those up rather than the one at work