Door won't open (yeah, I know what you're thinking, yet another)

goumba

Hey guys, I found this page through a Google search.

Ok, so I have a '95 GP 2Dr Coupe I use for commuting for the past few years. Not a bad car, despite problems I've seen many mentions of here. Heck, at least I learned how to (successfully) replace the intake manifold gaskets (my 3rd Gen will need the same soon and I'd have been terrified of doing it on her first) among other things.

Now, for my trouble. I have been through all the threads I can find on this, and none of them solved my problem.

A few days ago, after it began to warm up - so I know they're not frozen - my driver's side door refuses to open. The exterior handle sticks out a little as if it were loose, but it always has, and always worked. I can not open the door by neither the inside nor the exterior handles. It just won't open. I have removed the door panel and manipulated both (latch and lock) rods every way I could think of, with no success.

If I look in the seam between door and body and pull the handle, the rod appears to move, so I don't think that mechanism is broken either.

Any other suggestions?

Sounds like there is just enough slack in the linkage that it will not release the latch.

I had a 1994 Grand Prix sedan with the same issue, could not open with either handle. I had to destroy the door panel to get it out since the door wouldn't open.

Once the door panel was off, I maneuvered a can of WD40 into the door, and sprayed the shit out of the linkage, latch, everything. Eventually, after continually yanking on the linkage, the door opened.

Once you get the door back open, you can adjust the pivot thingy that connects the external linkage to the handle.

Since it's a coupe, have you tried to adjust the lever that attaches to the mechanism on the door handle? My Cutlass did the same thing, and I adjusted the lever. Now the doors open like butter.

I had a 1994 Grand Prix sedan with the same issue, could not open with either handle. I had to destroy the door panel to get it out since the door wouldn't open.

Once the door panel was off, I maneuvered a can of WD40 into the door, and sprayed the shit out of the linkage, latch, everything. Eventually, after continually yanking on the linkage, the door opened.

Once you get the door back open, you can adjust the pivot thingy that connects the external linkage to the handle.

Thanks for the tip. Although it's not winning any beauty contests with an abused-by-the-last-owner interior, destroying the door panel was not what I wanted to hear lol. Damn thing has power windows too which is gonna make this fun.

Since it's a coupe, have you tried to adjust the lever that attaches to the mechanism on the door handle? My Cutlass did the same thing, and I adjusted the lever. Now the doors open like butter.

You mean the threaded rod? Yeah, I figured that may need adjustment, I need to get the door open first.

Yes, those threaded rods. I call them levers because the way they're bent to open the door on the mechanism that's inside.

Anyways, can you get in the car at all? The door can open from the inside but not the outside.

It might not be the linkage but after a freeze the door could just be jammed in. Mine does this on occasion and I just pull the inside handle and throw my shoulder into the door and it pops right open. Or get a flat screwdriver and pry at the door from the top on the out side. Once you get it open silicone grease the weather stripping and clean the metal with soapy water then lube you hinges. Should clear up any further problems.

Yes, those threaded rods. I call them levers because the way they're bent to open the door on the mechanism that's inside.

Anyways, can you get in the car at all? The door can open from the inside but not the outside.

I can get in the passenger side. Not fun at 3:30am, I can assure you. Neither the inside handle, nor the outside will open the door.

It might not be the linkage but after a freeze the door could just be jammed in. Mine does this on occasion and I just pull the inside handle and throw my shoulder into the door and it pops right open. Or get a flat screwdriver and pry at the door from the top on the out side. Once you get it open silicone grease the weather stripping and clean the metal with soapy water then lube you hinges. Should clear up any further problems.

Yeah I figured on a warm day I shouldn't have a freezing problem, but I'll give it a try. As far as putting my shoulder into it, I'd show you my black and blue shoulder right now. :) I had read that and gave it a few tries to no avail.

I can get in the passenger side. Not fun at 3:30am, I can assure you. Neither the inside handle, nor the outside will open the door.

Out of curiosity, are you sure the car is unlocking? I had this issue once with my passenger door when I swapped locks and it turned out that the lock lever was the one giving me issues keeping the car locked. You would have to take off the door panel and see what's going on in there, but the belt will be in the way. I remember I had to move the mechanism for it to fully work.

I'm pretty sure it is. I have tried manually manipulating the lock rod as well, and it is as far forward in it's travel as I can get it.

By moving the mechanism, do you mean the rod, or the the whole assembly?

I can see inside, but because I have big hands, the best I can do is play with the rods, I can not get in there to manipulate the latch itself with my hand. When I operate the inside handle or pull the rod, it does seem like it's reaching the limit of it's travel the best I can tell; as when I do so the handle is almost perpendicular to the door panel, and will move no further. Same goes for the lock rod.

The seal is broken on the door, as I am easily able to pry the door from the frame, so I don't think it's frozen shut (and it's relatively warm today with the car in the sun).

Darn thing just doesn't want to let me in.

This is currently happening to me. Neither door handle (interior, exterior) will open the door. One day last week it just decided not to open.

I pried open the door panel open as much as i could to get a look inside. All rods and linkage seem to be in good shape. They get full travel when the door handles are pulled and are not bent. The lock solenoid works fine and seems to engage/disengage fully when the lock/unlock is pressed. I agree with OP, it does not seem physically possible for a grown man to get his hands anywhere near the actual latch (at least for my Cutlass Supreme).

But yesterday morning I leave my house not even bothering to try the drivers door. I get in the passengers side hop over the center console and drive to work. When i gt to work, I forget and out of habit pull the door handle to get out of the car. IT OPENED! It took me about 3 second before i realized that the door worked.

I did nothing out of the ordinary, it just worked.

So I'm leaving work yesterday nervous to try the door... it worked again. In a fit of joy I decide then to go to Chipotle and upon arrival, the door stops working. Sigh, I just had to get a burrito didn't I?

It seems to be completely random. I live in San Diego so it is not a temperature hot/cold thing. I had a thought last night.... could it be a VATS thing? My security light is on all the time but I have no trouble starting the car as most people with a VATS issue have. My passenger door works fine. Is this a even a security measure that the VATS has?

Not sure if OP is in the same position, but damn this is frustrating.

I bet the lever on the other end of the handle is so gouged that you guys cannot manipulate the door open. Or there has been so much grease slathered into the lock mechanism on the door that it will not function any more. Best bet I see is to get at the inner workings of the interior handle to see if you might could use some vice grips to pull the lever enough to make the lock pop open.

Also make sure that all of the mounting bolts that hold the vertical handle to the door are tight, if they are not or some are missing than this will also not allow the outer handle to not function.

I love how the dealer manual states the outer handles are designed to adjust the amount of effort it takes to open the door, mean while in the real world you can adjust them but only to work or not work.:lol:

I think I found out my problem, hopefully solves it for OP too.

I saw this on another thread.

The rod for the handle is probably keeping a little bit of tension on the latch, it'll work fine until you lock it. Then it mimics what happens when you try and pull on the door handle and unlock the door at the same time.

Disconnect the handle rod and I guarantee you it will fully unlock.

You'll have to adjust the handle so it opens later as you're pulling it.

I didn't have to dis-connect the rod. I lightly pounded on my exterior door handle with the bottom of my fist to make sure the door (handle) was completely closed (even though it already looked completely closed). Cycled through the lock then unlock and the door opened. Have not had a problem the last 24 hours, but if I do I'll repeat the pound process. I'll look at re-adjusting the exterior handle too.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys got busy.

I managed to get the door open. WD-40 did nothing for me, so I soaked it in PB, let it sit, pulled the interior handle and viola...

No sooner than I did that, did the exterior handle break. &^$@. However at least I don't have to crawl over the console at 3am. I can get to the handle when the weather gets warmer.

I've read about the handle part getting gouged, and I'll take a look at those threads again before I install a new handle so I don't have another problem.

Thanks for your help.