Tuning with HP Tuners?

carkhz316

So, I've been wanting to get into this for awhile, just for the sake of being able to mod the Monte Carlo on mine own, and then go on to other things. Well, I was talking to a guy at my work about 3800's and fuel mileage and whatnot. Eventually I mentioned tuning and reflashing computers and wanting to do that stuff. I mentioned HP tuners and how some people use it to tune for power and others have tuned for mileage. Well, he's one of these hyper-miler types and wants to do something like that to his 2008 Grand Prix. I told him that something like HP Tuners or equivalent has a lot more potential than a handheld programmer. He eventually offered to buy it ($500) if I would tune his and I could keep it. Pretty sweet deal right? I told him that I have not used it before but planned on learning on the Monte first; and that I would have to get a WB O2 as well, before I could begin anything. He was fine with that. Obviously, the problem is that I have no experience in using it. I'm wondering if any of you can give me some insight or tutorial or crash course in getting started with it so that I can have a clue. I've poured over google and most link to books to buy and whatnot; though I have begun watching some vids on YT so that's helping a lot. If I have to spend the $40-$50 for a guide then so be it, but I'd rather speak with individuals that could guide me from a W-body point of view since that's what I'm most familiar with. I hope some of you trust me that this may be something I can handle as you've seen my threads from top-swapping to 5 speed swapping and know that I know how to get around my car, even with electronics and stuff. Obviously computer tuning is a whole different thing, but I just want some help unless I'm getting in over my head. Thanks for reading my long story! Any help or insight is appreciated!

Hey, those links are very helpful. Thanks for those. I did some more digging and found that in order to tune with a WB, I pretty much have to get the PRO version, so I guess I'll just cough up the rest, which will still be a good deal in the long run.

• 4 months later...

Well, I bit the bullet and just bought it today outright on my own. So here's hoping I can learn a thing or two. Can't wait to dig into the Monte, and then my truck. Anyone around central MN want to come supervise or hold my hand? Haha. I'll feed you beer and burgers.

Be sure to use the HPTuner forum, there's some useful info to be had there also.

I did find a couple tables for upgrading injectors on clubgp a while back too.

Fun stuff, just gotta make sure to keep a backup of your current tune in case the new one you flash isn't as good as the old one.

Will do about keeping redundant backups of any stock(ish) tune. I've been pouring over the HP forums for some time now and slowly been gathering more info.

So what does the GUI look like? Is it just a list of BIN files, or does it actually give you a list of values you can change?