1993 Lumina pilot cars

tar6569

Fooling around with google and compnine today. Tried some different vin combos and got a hit on some of the pilot cars. Appears for 93 that there were 7 Euro 3.4 pilot cars and 6 Z34's. The reports for these say WD1 for pilot vehicle identification and VS7 vehicle statement, non saleable vehicle

2G1WP14X2P9100001 built 6/23/92 Maui Blue Z34 auto

2G1WP14X6P9100003 built 6/23/92 Torch Red Z34 5spd

2G1WP14X1P9100006 built 6/23/92 color 16U?? Z34 5spd

2G1WN54X0P9100009 built 6/23/92 Torch Red Euro 3.4

that trick with using the ebay vehicle history check is pretty handy. can get up to 15 checks for like 10 or 15 bucks. gives a good amount of info. If anyone has access to look them up for free, I'll search for some more. Here's a 92 Z34 pilot car, vin# 3. 2G1WP14XXN9100003 built 6/21/91 Torch Red automatic. Looks like 12 polit Z34's were built for 92. They don't have any provision about not offering them for sale so maybe some of them still exist.

why would there have been pilot cars in 93? AFAIK, nothing changed between 92 and 93 for luminas other than supposedly the 2.2 being offered as the cylinder in place of the 2.5?

auto locking door locks black painted inserts for the 5 spokes instead of it being all aluminum and possibly 4t60e? Not that its any good reasons for pilot vehicles

Edited by Drummer

I think it has more to do with build quality than anything else... that or "pilot vehicle" really means the test crash cars the NHSTA and IIHS use. I think they test those every year... not entirely sure.

auto locking door locks black painted inserts for the 5 spokes instead of it being all aluminum and possibly 4t60e? Not that its any good reasons for pilot vehicles

hmm..... i wouldn't think those would require pilot vehicles. 4T60E on the 3.1 cars makes the most sense, but these are all 3.4 cars which had them since introduction.

I think it has more to do with build quality than anything else... that or "pilot vehicle" really means the test crash cars the NHSTA and IIHS use. I think they test those every year... not entirely sure.

i THINK it is the crash cars as opposed to the fuel economy testing, but IIRC the crash cars are supposedly randomly purchased by NHTSA for crash testing. that may be different now, but i think that is what i read they did back then.

i THINK it is the crash cars as opposed to the fuel economy testing, but IIRC the crash cars are supposedly randomly purchased by NHTSA for crash testing. that may be different now, but i think that is what i read they did back then.

I always thought the cars were crashed before selling... to see if they met federal standards and stuff.

I always thought the cars were crashed before selling... to see if they met federal standards and stuff.

Not all of them. Many were crashed AFTER SALE, by their owners, on public roads.:lol: