adding drivers power seat, is electrical pre-wired?

mchill07

Not sure about the GP, but if so, you should find an unused electrical connector just about in the center of the floor under the seat if it's prewired. Hard to miss, they're fairly large wires.

I got nice leather seats, and the driver side is power. Is the electrical harness Pre-wired, or do i need to rough it in. This is a 95' GP 2 door.

The last project I did to my Cutlass was adding a passenger's power seat track from a 1st gen Regal, swapping the Cutlass seat to the Regal track. Wishing now I had taken a few pictures while I had the driver's seat out, because I stole the power for the passenger seat by splicing into the connector on the driver's side.

Prolly gonna be swapping in dual power myself next month :)

The last project I did to my Cutlass was adding a passenger's power seat track from a 1st gen Regal, swapping the Cutlass seat to the Regal track. Wishing now I had taken a few pictures while I had the driver's seat out, because I stole the power for the passenger seat by splicing into the connector on the driver's side.

post-4483-14368914956_thumb.jpg

It was kind of tricky with the Cutlass...for some reason, a passenger 6-way power seat was never offered, but thanks to some of the guys on W-body, I found out 1st gen Regals did. It wasn't fun swapping the Regal seat track to my original seats, but the wife says it's far more comfortable on long trips, which made it all worthwhile.

Prolly gonna be swapping in dual power myself next month :)
Edited by Galaxie500XL

electrical is not pre-wired. You can salvage a good harness from a donor and installation is pretty straight forward, though carpet removal is a must.

The connector is under the front seat, it is thick wire orange and black. the black wire is grounded to the floor just to the left of the driver's seat with a 10mm bolt(peel back the carpet) The orange runs the opposite way to the passenger side in a plastic channel. Bring a box cutter to the junkyard to slash the carpet, cut left to right across the donor right in line with the rear fasteners for the front seat, this is where the wire runs. Wire runs along the right front side in a large loose wire channel and goes to the C200 connector, which is big gray plastic and held together with a T-30 torx bolt. Once you have removed the passenger foot panel and separated the C200 into it's two halfs, there is a connector that has the single big orange wire(some cars might have more wires, but you can cut those, they can be for the sunroof iirc) and it can be pried out, then turned edge wise and pushed backwards though the hole. Seat removal can be done with a 8mm socket if needed. I should take pics of this process, it sounds complicated but isn't really hard :/

Interchange seems to be ANY Gen 1/1.5 with power seat. If in doubt, gen 1 for certain.

Regarding regal dual power seats: they have a derivative of the same wire, they have the passenger seat's orange wire spliced into the standard orange wire in the passenger side channel, which is under the carpet at the bottom of the door jamb. It's ground wire is separate, and goes to a mirrored spot as the driver's side, to the right of the right seat with a 10mm bolt.

Edited by Crazy K

p.s. I could foresee colorization issues, as i can see you have had... good attempt, but some SEM paint might be needed. I have seen tan and BLOOD red Regal interiors, iirc. and so hard to find...

Good point. Finding graphite paint proved to be a problem, so I used black vinyl paint to cover the red of the Regal switch cover. I deliberately didn't paint the recline lever, thinking that something that gets handled very much probably wouldn't hold paint very well over time.

p.s. I could foresee colorization issues, as i can see you have had... good attempt, but some SEM paint might be needed. I have seen tan and BLOOD red Regal interiors, iirc. and so hard to find...

ken hit the nail on the head. I ran into the issue with my 94 cutlass. orange wire was in the right kick panel.

Also I like the clean look on the passenger side 6 way power seat. I wanted to do that also but couldnt find one that had it on the right side. my AQ9s had one manual and one 6 way but both had all of the fancy lumbar controls. Post pics of progress please