Key/ignition cylinder

conley3.1

My mechanic said that my car possibly has a bad key cylinder/ignition switch... He also says, that, contrary to most cars, the switch and cylinder are in one unit... can anybody verify that they are one unit? He's a really good mechanic, but you guys own w-bodies, and he doesn't... he could be wrong, i spose. Thanks for the help. It's a 92 Lumina 3.1, by the way, if that helps.

In any w-body with TILT STEERING it is impossible for you to attempt to fix it yourself. Special tools are needed.

Incorrect....you saw the picture above. I had to do that to get my TGP started. When I got the car home, I replaced the lock cylinder myself! 8)

In any w-body with TILT STEERING it is impossible for you to attempt to fix it yourself. Special tools are needed.

What could you need besides a steering wheel puller and a lock plate puller (i think thats what its called)?

I don't know what's involved, but I was also told by a mechanic that it had to be done at the dealer since it required a special tool (specific to the W-Body). He said that he tried to do one once and ended up having to send it to the dealer.

and Burning Rom you did this yourself????

Yup..and I didn't have any special tools. :) There's nothing special that's needed. And it's probably a hundred times easier to change the lock bolt if you actually have the rest of it there (unlike the busted out one I had) to stick the key in and turn it. I had to use a needlenose and a screwdriver to turn it.

But as I said there are no special tools needed...EVEN if you want to change the ignition switch. There is a theft detterent cover over the switch, but if you drop the column down it's easy to remove :twisted: 8)

What could you need besides a steering wheel puller and a lock plate puller (i think thats what its called)?

This is true, you do need a steering wheel puller. But I don't consider that a special tool. You don't necessarily need a lock plate puller. There are other tools that can be "substituted" for it. :twisted: