Possible bad power steering pump?

SmoothSteve3

Hey everyone-

My 1990 3.1 Lumina has been making some groaning and whining noises for the last few weeks.....especially when I turn the steering wheel. Its not a suspension problem, and I highly doubt its a transmission problem. I think it might be the power steering pump starting to go bad. If I accelerate while turning hard, I hear this rather prominent whine from somewhere under the hood (I think). And if you listen very carefully, there's a slight whine when you frist accelerate from 5 to 15 MPH (steering wheel not turned, just going straight). What do you guys think?

Thanks!

SmoothSteve3

While mine tends to give a low-volume whine every so often, you can sometimes blame it on the low-flowing oil in the cold; BUT, yeah, that is the first sign of the pump pulley bearings giving up. First step, check to make sure your fluid is full to the appropriate mark (cold or warm level) - and also check for leaks. Second step, check that your belt is tight and there is no fluid on its surface possibly causing it to slip on the pulley. Third step, pretend there's another problem and drive around until your steering requires the power of three to take corners. (Almost all of us do this step anyway) but the belt might break and leave you stranded wondering why you ignored dealing with it.

When my car was warm (after spending the night in the warm enclosure of the dealer service shop) she was steering so smoothly I'd thought I must have been driving all the time before with the reservoir bone-dry...but, alas, my car is always cold, so I just noticed the difference easier. Whining is most always there as the pump ages; though, in your case, if it's getting loud, even on straight roads, there is cause for concern regarding needing a new pump. As far as I remember (unless I'm confusing it with another component) the pump cannot be repaired by disassembly and retro-fit with new components - she needs a complete replacement which isn't too difficult aside from having to take off the serpentine belt.

If it is really cold out.. usually around 0 degrees.. my PS pump whines and groans like there is no tomorrow. Occasionally, it whines a little when I'm driving. I'm sure it'll take a crap in the near future.. I won't worry about it until then.

That's what I thought. There's a reason I typed the third step...

...Third step, pretend there's another problem and drive around until your steering requires the power of three to take corners. (Almost all of us do this step anyway) but the belt might break and leave you stranded wondering why you ignored dealing with it.

No big deal...I'd do it too. :lol:

U only need P/S for low speed manuevers or turning the wheel when your stopped. Once your moving the wheel is pretty easy to turn. I drove an Integra with the P/S removed and it was no prob except for parking... then it was a work out

U only need P/S for low speed manuevers or turning the wheel when your stopped. Once your moving the wheel is pretty easy to turn. I drove an Integra with the P/S removed and it was no prob except for parking... then it was a work out

I should let you drive my 63 GMC truck @ low speeds, ya' gotta be a man to turn that wheel :wink: ...damn steering box is fully adjusted since it's so old and wore out, I'm going to convert it to ps out of a 70's model pickup sometime in the near future when i start restoring it...anyways, to the author of the thread, check the lines coming from the pump, sometimes they work their way loose and cause low fluid levels..if it is the pump, they're only about $40 or so from autozone or the like if I'm remembering right, easy to change also if you have a set of basic tools.