Just need to get into the damn car...

Deacon

So recently in Michigan (and most of the rest of the country) we got a massive arctic cold snap plunging temps into the negatives.

Of course, my car got frozen over, but that's not the problem.

My car is a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 2 door. I can get neither of my doors open. I've tried spray de-icer and a hair dryer around the door edges, but I still don't think that is the problem.

I'm worried that once we get past this into a little warmer weather that I'm gonna have problems with just opening the doors thanks to the wonderful GM design.

Yea, I've had problems with the doors in the past in perfect weather.

So, (preparing for the worst while hoping for the best.) how can I get into the car period. I don't have pass thru from the trunk, so that is out of the question.

Thoughts, advice and prayers requested and appreciated

First and foremost, welcome to the forum!

I have been in the exact same spot you are in now. If you door is not frozen shut, it still could be the temps are still way below freezing. It doesn't take much to keep this door frozen shut. The first thing to check is to make sure you handles are not broken. They do like to break in the extreme cold. You can usually see a piece of snapped metal from the handle.

I have done this once to get into my car, and that was to cut off the handle, and then use a long screwdriver to reach the rod and open the door. You need to push down on the rod and that will open the door. There are two rods one for the lock and one to open the door.

assuming the rod didn't bend/break, that will work. that being said, i've seen them bent pretty badly before, enough to render a brand new handle useless.

That is a good point.

After the door is open. Put vasline or some type of grease on the weather stripping. Also adjust the linkage properly and it will open with ease.

Take a prybar and go along the side and top door and very gently twist it until you here ice cracking, sometimes I think another 1" to 1 1/2" of extra linkage bar would make all the difference. Honestly though WTF is so great about pillar mounted door handles? Did GM really think people wouldn`t notice they put the engine in the wrong way if we were distracted by different door handles?

See prayers do work, :)

I got into my car this evening and sprayed a rather liberal amount of silicon spray around the door frame and rubber seal.

Also did the rubber seal around the trunk while I was at it.

Now to just get the passenger door working and I'll be all set, but that one is gonna have to wait till warmer weather.

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate it.

Only benefit of the handle design was it looks cleaner. I have a customer that had a 95 GP coupe and every time it got cold she couldnt get in. was never the seals because you could easily open it from thee inside, would not open from the outside. I used to put my work light close to the latch and after 5 minutes voila opens right up. The light I mention is a square light, uses the weird tube bulb, and gets pretty hot. I tried everything on hers from replacing the handles, latches, rods, you name it. still had the same problem. Must be southern friendly but not for NY