hood release latch snapped :(

Jamie Leigh

So it has been wicked cold in nj so my car is running a little harsh thanks to the weather. Worried about things freezing over and already knowing a guy my dad works with have his car go to shit because their water pumps blew from it freezing over because he let it sit for almost a week without starting it. We decided to go check under my hood today just to make sure before we started her up because it was single digits again today that nothing was wrong and sure enough my latch to my hood snapped in two. The cable is completely intact and the hood popped before it actually snapped off so I still got to check it out and all was good. But I for the life of me don't know where I can buy a new one. None of the parts stores by me carry them nor can they order one and I refuse to buy something from jc whitney again because I purchased a new driver side door handle and it didn't fit properly and I am not going through all that crap again. any suggestions on a good place to order one?

Jy would prolly be best bet

So it has been wicked cold in nj so my car is running a little harsh thanks to the weather. Worried about things freezing over and already knowing a guy my dad works with have his car go to shit because their water pumps blew from it freezing over because he let it sit for almost a week without starting it. We decided to go check under my hood today just to make sure before we started her up because it was single digits again today that nothing was wrong and sure enough my latch to my hood snapped in two. The cable is completely intact and the hood popped before it actually snapped off so I still got to check it out and all was good. But I for the life of me don't know where I can buy a new one. None of the parts stores by me carry them nor can they order one and I refuse to buy something from jc whitney again because I purchased a new driver side door handle and it didn't fit properly and I am not going through all that crap again. any suggestions on a good place to order one?

Rockauto.com has the cable for around $10 + shipping. Be sure to google a 5% discount code to use when ordering from there.

edit: I skimmed the post as I have a habit of doing assuming only the cable was broken. They might have the other part as well, just search the catalog online. If they don't, a junkyard is your best bet. Someone here would no doubt be willing to pull you one if you can't find a place to get it locally.

Edited by mfewtrail

What car is it for? We are having really good weather here in the Pacific Northwest, good enough to go check out the Recycle Yards...and NO snow :biggrin:

A 1994 olds cutlass supreme 2 dr coupe

I would deplete my supply of duct tape and crazy glue first. Then attempt to hire a very small homeless person to live under the hood and wait till I tell him to pop the latch with a screwdriver. If by some chance those first 2 plans fail I'd consider trying to locate one at a wrecking. yard.

you could always pop a small pair of vicegrips on for temporary, or for some people permanent. I agree on the JY, probably your best best for a oem quality part, There are intact ones out there

you could always pop a small pair of vicegrips on for temporary, or for some people permanent. I agree on the JY, probably your best best for a oem quality part, There are intact ones out there

They can come off a 2001 Lumina as well... The hood latch was shared between all 1st Gen W bodies and the 1.5 Lumina and Monte Carlo.

This is considering the fact that 1G W's are getting rare at the jy

I thought my 2001 lumina was on the kick panel. wasnt the lumina in the kick panel since 95? basically with the new body style? maybe you can retrofit it? I may be wrong on this though I am pretty tired