1991 Buick Regal Custom - Instrument Cluster Problem (Odometer)

Harriscm

My only potential form of transportation right now is a 1991 Buick Regal Custom sedan. It was my grandmother's, wasn't driven too often (60,000 miles on the car) and I don't have to pay to get it. It's been sitting in my dad's driveway for about 6 years undriven.

After being assured the car would pass inspection no problems it failed on: Tires, rotors, headlights, wipers, and the odometer. My dad and I have spent the last month getting the parts together and fixing these issues. The only one that has us stumped is the odometer. As far as the instrument cluster is concerned, the digital speedometer and the gas gauge work just fine but the odometer is totally dead. I was hoping since on the title the odometer reading is listed as "exempt" and "over mechanical limits" (due to the car being 20 years old) the car would be able to pass inspection without the odometer working, but that doesn't seem to be the case in Maryland.

dNwdEHn.jpg?1

After researching it a bit online I have found only a few options:

1. Get a replacement cluster at a salvage yard: Called around and the closest place that carries this is about an hour away and its $125 for it. I made sure to mention it was the version *without gauges* and they assured me it was.

2. Get it fixed via ebay vendor: A guy in MN is offering to fix it for $100 (not including shipping). Seems like I would probably go the salvage yard route over this as it will probably be about the same price or cheaper factoring in shipping, and I would get it sooner.

3. Try to fix the cluster myself: Haven't found too much in the way of research; but I've heard the resistors failing on this particular cluster is fairly common. I've heard at least 2 people claim they have been able to replace the resistors at a place like radioshack for cheap, but I have no idea how involved this is or if this is even the problem with my odometer. I am not the most mechanically inclined and messing around with an instrument cluster is new territory for my dad, so I'm a bit apprehensive on going this route.

------

I wouldn't be opposed to getting a different cluster.

Did some digging and I'm seeing clusters like this on ebay from $30-50.

VAx75vE.jpg?1

This listing is on ebay for $35, for instance.

It looks like the size of the right side of this cluster is a bit longer than the factory one though, so is it going to fit back in the dash and not look like total shit?

the odometer resistor issue is a problem with the 2nd generation regal clusters(97-up). i doubt you'll find a resistor issue on these clusters(not for the odometer, anyways).

what i've found to be problematic on all 1st gen clusters is that one of the little gears in the odometer module likes to crack and then slip around the shaft that it is supposed to drive, resulting in an odometer that appears completely dead or spins randomly up to a certain number, stops for a while(or permanantly), then starts rotating to stop on a specific number again.

i'm fairly certain you can use the uplevel cluster as-is with only some possible rewiring to work around, but i can't comment on if there is a physical fit issue.

Ebay lists the part as TRIM compatible, but I'm not sure if they mean:

1. It is plug and play

2. It is compatible BUT it requires rewiring

3. It is compatible BUT it might not necessarily fit in the dash properly.

As far as the rewiring is concerned: What can I expect for this? Is it relatively easy to do by someone with low automotive knowledge (either by following a guide or set of instructions)? Does it require purchasing extra adapters and wiring stuff? If I can save $100 by buying a different, more reliable cluster, with only a minimal headache i'm all for it. But if converting from digital to analog is going to be a big procedure and take hours and hours of work then I might break down and get the original cluster. I've had enough headaches with this car already.

for 91, i'm seeing 3 clusters available, the base unit(which you appear to have), the U21 unit(which looks like an analog 6-guage) and the UB3(fully digital 6 guage).

for 94...... i'm only seeing the U21 unit being available?

as many relevant pics as i can find:

base:

12.jpg

U21:

06.jpg

semi-decent UB3 pic:

12.jpg

the ebay auction you linked to doesn't appear to have the aux cluster included. does your car have the cutout for that? i'm not familiar with 1g regal interiors.

Based on what I know about 1st gen cluster all clusters should fit any same model regardless of trim. Meaning a UB3 cluster from a Regal GS will bolt into a base model Regal. The wiring will most likely be different.

This thread had some good info in it.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/17177-Regal-UB3-Swap

Now the U21 cluster would probably be the easiest to swap I imagine. Don't expect the tach to work unless you run a wire up from your ALDL. Other gauges like the oil sender may/won't work unless you change it over to the correct oil sender.

Now I came across this thread, and I now it's not to a base cluster, but analog to full digital swap.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/45951-Need-pinouts-and-diagrams

Edited by 94 olds vert

the ebay auction you linked to doesn't appear to have the aux cluster included. does your car have the cutout for that? i'm not familiar with 1g regal interiors.

Oh man, this is where my complete lack of knowledge of this stuff comes into play. I'm assuming you are referring to those two gauges on the U21 far to the right? I'll have to go out and check shortly, it's hard to tell with the dash in pieces right now though.

helpful info

Thanks, that will definitely come in handy if I decide to go the analog route and do some rewiring. In the middle of working out an arrangement with a member here for a base cluster (with the digital speedometer) which I would prefer for the ease of replacing it. With how anal the service centers here about the inspections, I don't know if the car would pass inspection if the tach/oil gauges weren't working, so i'd have to much with getting those running too. I'll definitely keep this in mind though, in case that deal falls through.

If you switch to the analog cluster the trim piece that goes infront of the cluster is different, the analog one has another cutout for the extra 2 gauges.

I have a complete analog setup from a parts car that i had and ill probably never use it, send me a pm if you decide to go that route

My only potential form of transportation right now is a 1991 Buick Regal Custom sedan. It was my grandmother's, wasn't driven too often (60,000 miles on the car) and I don't have to pay to get it. It's been sitting in my dad's driveway for about 6 years undriven.

After being assured the car would pass inspection no problems it failed on: Tires, rotors, headlights, wipers, and the odometer. My dad and I have spent the last month getting the parts together and fixing these issues. The only one that has us stumped is the odometer. As far as the instrument cluster is concerned, the digital speedometer and the gas gauge work just fine but the odometer is totally dead. I was hoping since on the title the odometer reading is listed as "exempt" and "over mechanical limits" (due to the car being 20 years old) the car would be able to pass inspection without the odometer working, but that doesn't seem to be the case in Maryland.

dNwdEHn.jpg?1

After researching it a bit online I have found only a few options:

1. Get a replacement cluster at a salvage yard: Called around and the closest place that carries this is about an hour away and its $125 for it. I made sure to mention it was the version *without gauges* and they assured me it was.

2. Get it fixed via ebay vendor: A guy in MN is offering to fix it for $100 (not including shipping). Seems like I would probably go the salvage yard route over this as it will probably be about the same price or cheaper factoring in shipping, and I would get it sooner.

3. Try to fix the cluster myself: Haven't found too much in the way of research; but I've heard the resistors failing on this particular cluster is fairly common. I've heard at least 2 people claim they have been able to replace the resistors at a place like radioshack for cheap, but I have no idea how involved this is or if this is even the problem with my odometer. I am not the most mechanically inclined and messing around with an instrument cluster is new territory for my dad, so I'm a bit apprehensive on going this route.

------

I wouldn't be opposed to getting a different cluster.

Did some digging and I'm seeing clusters like this on ebay from $30-50.

VAx75vE.jpg?1

This listing is on ebay for $35, for instance.

It looks like the size of the right side of this cluster is a bit longer than the factory one though, so is it going to fit back in the dash and not look like total shit?

If you want to convert to analog, there's a parts car out in Brandywine that has the whole dash. It's the one next to Ransom down Crain Hwy. They would probably charge you around $30 or so.

Anyways, what part of Maryland are you located?

As far as the odometer, that might be a wiring issue, because as far as I can see, that odometer is analog (although it's driven electronically). I know it sounds barbaric, but with the cluster in the car, did you try slapping the dash near the odometer to get it to work? My Cutlass' odometer stopped working a couple times, hit the dash near it and it worked again. Hasn't given me a problem since last winter. Might just be something loose in there.

If you switch to the analog cluster the trim piece that goes infront of the cluster is different, the analog one has another cutout for the extra 2 gauges.

I have a complete analog setup from a parts car that i had and ill probably never use it, send me a pm if you decide to go that route

That's very generous of you, much appreciated. I will keep you in mind.

If you want to convert to analog, there's a parts car out in Brandywine that has the whole dash. It's the one next to Ransom down Crain Hwy. They would probably charge you around $30 or so.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind but I live in Olney so it's about an hour drive away. Wouldn't be opposed to a long trip usually but since I'd have to rely on a friend to get me there (can't be driving the buick there can I? :) ) I'll probably try to order the thing online through ebay first to save the trip. It's nice to have this option just in case though.

As far as the odometer, that might be a wiring issue, because as far as I can see, that odometer is analog (although it's driven electronically). I know it sounds barbaric, but with the cluster in the car, did you try slapping the dash near the odometer to get it to work? My Cutlass' odometer stopped working a couple times, hit the dash near it and it worked again. Hasn't given me a problem since last winter. Might just be something loose in there.

Heh, yeah that's not too barbaric for my delicate sensibilities. It was the first thing I tried. I'm thinking it might be a faulty IC; i've heard these particular clusters have that happen to them rather frequently.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys.

Edited by Harriscm

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind but I live in Olney so it's about an hour drive away. Wouldn't be opposed to a long trip usually but since I'd have to rely on a friend to get me there (can't be driving the buick there can I? :) ) I'll probably try to order the thing online through ebay first to save the trip. It's nice to have this option just in case though.

Well, I'm in DC so a trip to MoCo wouldn't be too much of a hassle if you can spot me with gas money. I'm usually free than not. You can PM me if you want to go there.

Heh, yeah that's not too barbaric for my delicate sensibilities. It was the first thing I tried. I'm thinking it might be a faulty IC; i've heard these particular clusters have that happen to them rather frequently.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, I just had to say that since some people will flip out at the thought of giving stuff like that some "tender" love and care haha

Edited by Nas Escobar