Buick Century DRL Melting

vladbuick

I have 1997 Buick century Limited. Ever since i've had the car I ve had problems with the drl/ turn signal. they seem to Burn out quite often and the light bulbs ive been replacing them with, usually Sylvania with the plastic bottom(3157), melt in the socket which in turn creates a bad connection. ive been able to bypass this problem by using glass bottomed bulbs (4157 I believe)but they are getting hard to find in my area.

Are these contacts suppose to get hot, and would it be because I have resistance in m y circuit ? if so where should I check first?

also my right turn signal occasionally and randomly flash irratically, is this cause by the flasher ?

thanks

What is the voltage at the back of the alternator (alternator output terminal) with the engine running at fast idle (1500--2000 rpm)?

If the alternator voltage is acceptable (typically 14.2 volts), I'd be looking at corroded sockets leading to excessive resistance. Excess resistance will heat the sockets and melt the bulbs.

If the right turn signal flashes erratically, but not the left, it's NOT the flasher. Flasher affects both sides. Look at the sockets on the right side.