Trying to decide between 98 S/C Regal and 08 Lacrosse Super

GXPeon

GS or Super?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. GS or Super?

• Keep the Regal GS
    • Get the Lacrosse Super

Hi all. New member & long time GM fan.

As the title states, I'm trying to figure out which W-body I want. Right now I own the Regal. I'm the second owner and the car has 45,000 orig. miles on it. Recently developed an electrical issue but it's in the shop right now. Absolutely mint otherwise. No dash rattles.

Anyway, I came across a 2008 Lacrosse Super. Black with 62,000 miles. Test drove it and it's pretty quick yet composed all around. I read that the Super's were pretty rare. About 2500 were produced in a 2 year span. The car is on sale for $12,600 CDN. Black book value is $16,000 CDN. No accidents, local vehicle and it's being sold at the dealership where it was bought from brand new.

My question to you all: Which one would YOU rather have? A mint S/C Buick or a slightly higher yet newer and rarer V8 Lacrosse? I can't have both and the decision is eating away at me. I don't mind keeping my GS but part of me wonders if the Super would be better in the long run? I plan to mod whichever one I keep.

Hmm....Supercharger whine or loud V8 roar??

Help! :)

BOTH. /end thread

*the buick sounds like much more of a sleeper* D'oh!

try again... I thought you had a 98 GTP

here goes:

I like both, in that Buicks are much more of a sleeper. However, the newer one sounds alot like the GXPs which tend to have too much power for their transmission.

Edited by Crazy K

I'd be weary of the Super only because of Transmissions issues. As long as that car doesn't run the 4T65HD (the GXPs were known to smoke trannies at some point in their ownership) I'd really consider it.

Is there any reason why you can not keep both?

I only own the Regal. The Lacrosse is at a dealership. I have a third car. No room or money for three cars.

The Lacrosse uses the same transmission. I've learned that a Diablew tune with a tranny cooler can help extend the life of the transmission as well as wake up the engine quite a bit.

from my notes:

06 MC SS(LS4) is a 14.0 car

a 98 GS is a 15.0.

you'll already be starting fairly quick with the lacrosse and it will sound glorious at all times.

Lacrosse Supers have the 5.3 v8

Correct

It is the second fastest Buick in history (behind the GNX). The Super is faster out of the box but the GS can be made to go faster (watch your timing though!)

I don't have the money or room for 3 cars. Both Buicks are almost museum pieces but the Super has 15k more miles. I guess I gravitate towards rare car ownership? They only made 2500 Supers whereas they made over 17,000 GP GXPs.