90 steering wheel on 88 GP

THe_DeTAiL3R

I change the entire steering column to one from a 1990? Grand Prix that has a steering wheel with buttons for the stereo. Anyways everything seems to be working okay, but I was wondering if the buttons are suppose to light up when you turn the lights on? Mine don't.. maybe I have to wire it differently.. right now everything just goes to my factory harness.

The wheel is just for show right now, but later on I might put something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wOMWIPAW3mc/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=118900&I=127SWIX&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N to make it functional. Any advice in that department would be appreciated.

Dave,

Pull the button pad off the steering wheel, You'll see wires with a connector, Carefully pull the connector off. Look for the GRAY wire on the connector, Locate the same pin on the steering wheel hub and with a test light, check for power with the Parking light switch in the "ON" position.

If the Gray wire has power, then its either the pad circuit board the lights are on is shorted, or all the bulbs are blown out, (HIGHLY UNLIKEY)

If you think the button pad circuit board is bad, let me know and I'll sell you the spare one I have.

No Dave...

Get a 12V test light. Cheap.. Its all you need right now... Clip the clipper end to a known good ground on the car.... Take the pointed end and touch the Grey wire PIN location on the steering wheel.... Turn the parking lights on as you touch it. If the light inside the test light comes on. You have power going to that wire.