pulling ecm board from housing (1992 Lumina 4 door 3.1)

Chris2012

Sorry if this question has been asked millions of times, but the dag nab answer has evaded me thus far.

I removed every screw, the sideways sliding plastic thing, and after labeling them, the socketed connectors.

Budged a bit, but my buddy told me to stop prying/yanking on it.

How do I remove it? I would like to see if there's a problem I can spot prior to possibly replacing it. Assuming that's even the problem. At the moment it seems that it's as likely a culprit as any. Blown cap, etc. Never actually taken a gander at a car computer anyway.

can you take some pics of where you're at now?

i've torn mine apart more than a few times(i added/replaced some components to add some more functions with some custom code) and it isn't difficult. it's possible that the silicone seals are just that well stuck together, in which case, more pulling is needed.

can you take some pics of where you're at now?

i've torn mine apart more than a few times(i added/replaced some components to add some more functions with some custom code) and it isn't difficult. it's possible that the silicone seals are just that well stuck together, in which case, more pulling is needed.

Well I didn't put any screws back, but I squeezed it back together and reconnected it to the harness. It's a bit late, and though I may be able to post a picture tomorrow or Wednesday, there isn't much to show.

What I'm going to do before even touching it again is charge the battery overnight and hopefully I can see if any codes are there. It wasn't working out today for some reason, while charging from my friend's van.

going off of memory: the 4 screws that hold the MEMCAL access cover on have to come out, the 4 that hold the heat dissipation bar to the case have to come out and the 4 that screw threw in the same axis as the connectors plug into.

at that point, the only thing preventing it from coming apart is a green silicone seal that is squeezed between the aluminum case and the plastic connector face. i've had some stubborn ones before, but they all came apart eventually.

so it sounds like you were there.

• 2 weeks later...
going off of memory: the 4 screws that hold the MEMCAL access cover on have to come out, the 4 that hold the heat dissipation bar to the case have to come out and the 4 that screw threw in the same axis as the connectors plug into.

at that point, the only thing preventing it from coming apart is a green silicone seal that is squeezed between the aluminum case and the plastic connector face. i've had some stubborn ones before, but they all came apart eventually.

so it sounds like you were there.

O no I wasn't. I neglected to pull the access cover off! THEN and only then did the case slide off as it should have.

Your big mistake was assuming you weren't talking to an idiot. I was distracted by my friend anyway, who stated that "gray thang" looks like a heat sink. Which doesn't preclude the possibiliity that it had to be lifted off to proceed. But hey a distraction is a distraction. If only he would have said cover.

Uh thanks though. Just be sure and give me the disrespect I'm due in the future.