what should i do?

defflepp1

1994 3.4 Euro 121,000 miles, im replacing the UIM and LIM gaskets, coolant temp sensor, PCV valve. one of the bolts holding down the lower intake is rounded, what would be the safest way of removing it? my thought was to drill it out and use an easy out but I'm worried that might hurt something. also while i have the engine torn down is there anything else i should replace? or what about cleaning the injectors while there out? any input would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a total newb when i comes to tearing an engine down like this let alone LQ1's

1994 3.4 Euro 121,000 miles, im replacing the UIM and LIM gaskets, coolant temp sensor, PCV valve. one of the bolts holding down the lower intake is rounded, what would be the safest way of removing it? my thought was to drill it out and use an easy out but I'm worried that might hurt something. also while i have the engine torn down is there anything else i should replace? or what about cleaning the injectors while there out? any input would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a total newb when i comes to tearing an engine down like this let alone LQ1's

Just had a similar experience with a valve cover bolt in the rear, but you cannot break a LIM off. 1st I would weld a nut to the head of the bolt, 2nd if no access to welding equipment I would try and hammer a socket on there and try and pull it that way, 3rd I`d drill the head down enough to remove the LIM and then use vice grips to extract. the rest of the bolt. You are using NEW bolts right? Always have the tool flush with whatever you are working on or you will round them off. Do you know the torque specs for reinstall? I can get you the numbers if you need them, should be the same 3.4 they put in the CS convertibles in 1994.

thanks for the reply, unfortunately i dont have access to welder, i tried hammering on the next smallest socket but the head is still to big for that to fit. i think ill just try to drill it and use an easy out. i wasn't planning to use new bolts but it look like ill have to, where would be the best place to pick them up? if you could find the torque specs that would be much appreciated

If you have an angle grinder you can try cutting a line in it and using something to turn it that way, or just cutting the bolt head off carefully and getting the rest out after the LIM is off.

For a 3100 a set is about $18.00 and you should be able to get them were you got your gaskets. The dealer manual for the 3.4 in the verts says that the lower intake manifold bolts are 20 ft lbs. As are the upper intake bolts. That's not to much so you might be able to get away with re using most of the bolts. Vice grips should be enough if you have to drill the head out.

thanks for the advice, through persistence with a hammer and socket i was able to get it out:dance:, however now i can't seem to get the intake off. again im a little paranoid about messing it up, but is it just a matter of brute force to get it off or is there an actual technique?

Double check to make sure you didnt miss a bolt. If not, take a rubber mallet and hit the intake on each end to shear the gasket.

thanks for the advice, through persistence with a hammer and socket i was able to get it out:dance:, however now i can't seem to get the intake off. again im a little paranoid about messing it up, but is it just a matter of brute force to get it off or is there an actual technique?

You can also use a block of wood and regular hammer if no rubber mallet. You just have to break that seal is all, I good hand hold at a corner will work to. I wouldn`t advise any kind of pry technique though. Just make sure you clean the mating surfaces really good. Also the tightening sequence should start with the middle bolts and work your way out and do not tighten one side and then the next. he manual also says to install two bolts in the vertical holes in the manifold to align everything. Im not exactly sure if this is needed as I have not worked on a LQ1 before so hopefully someone who has can clarify that part a bit. Edited by rich_e777