Series 1 Supercharged.

Buick666

So my friend of mine bought a '95 Regal with a Series 1 (TPI) with only 93 000km's wich runs like new.

Is it safe to put a Series 1 Supercharger on this engine? Or does a Series II supercharger fits also?

What would he need to make everything work and safe??

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

I kno that series 1 3.8 sc had a diff intake might b able t use a series 2 intake but i dont know

So my friend of mine bought a '95 Regal with a Series 1 (TPI) with only 93 000km's wich runs like new.

Is it safe to put a Series 1 Supercharger on this engine? Or does a Series II supercharger fits also?

What would he need to make everything work and safe??

Thanks! :)

Might b better off doing a complete series 2 l67 swap b easier on the programming

Okay! A friend of mine told me the exact same thing than you,but i just want to make sure before we start buying everything to do the top swap.

Bigger problem, The series II (L67) supercharger consumes too much real-estate on the intake manifold to allow space for fuel injectors, so they're in the heads. If the Series I engine did the same thing you would have no injector bungs if you put a SC intake on it. That is why we swap the supercharged heads as well. In my opinion L67ss is on the right track with just swap the whole engine, L67s are easy to find and you'd want to pull the HD tranny from the donor vehicle anyway. 1998 and up L67 were said to have better heads if you do go shopping for one.

swap the entire engine. I've long stared at a series 1 L27 engine that needs upgraded myself, and the only way to do it is go series 2 L67. I've also been told that you can't just bolt series 1 L67 intakes on to a series due to difference in the pistons among other things... unless you are trying to grenade something and even a full series 1 L67 would not produce the reliability or power seen in a series 2 L67.

Series 1 3.8 sc=like 200 hp roflmao

swap the entire engine. I've long stared at a series 1 L27 engine that needs upgraded myself, and the only way to do it is go series 2 L67. I've also been told that you can't just bolt series 1 L67 intakes on to a series due to difference in the pistons among other things... unless you are trying to grenade something and even a full series 1 L67 would not produce the reliability or power seen in a series 2 L67.

you can swap on everything from the SI L67 but without swapping in the obd2 harness/pcm your tunability is nearly zilch as well as youll run afoul of the whole hydrostatic trans with an electronic trans pcm. which can be made to work (ive dealt with this on an early bonnie sse that i put a turbo kit on ...97 4t60e) but is also not the best option.

best would be a motor/trans/harness swap....

now... you sure its a SI? ive worked on a 94 and several 95 regals that had the SII L36....

95 bonnevilles were series 2 from the factory for certain. they actually use the same PCM as 94 bonnies with the series 1, as well as other 95 vehicles that use a series 1.

I postulated that putting a series 2 L36 in place of a series 1 L27 should be very straight forward, as all you should have to do is hook everything up and throw the PROM in.... there is also a series 1 L67 that runs on the same PCM, similar PROM... if... BIG IF you wanted to jump into tunerpro tuning and make it run the stock transmission.... but lets not do that again.......

Series 1 3.8 sc=like 200 hp roflmao

94-95 S1 L67's had 225hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. Not far behind the S2's 240hp/280lb-ft in stock form. That torque peaks a lot lower than the S2 too.

The only way to be safe with putting a supercharger on the L27 is to swap basically the entire rotating assembly from a S1 L67. The L27's bottom end doesn't like boost at all. At that point you might as well swap the entire engine and transmission, and if you're swapping all of that anyway and are looking for more significant gains, you're better off swapping in a S2 L67 and 4t65e-hd. I would have a hard time putting another series 1 back in there if I'm gonna be swapping the engine/transmission/pcm unless I already had one sitting around or something.

If he's just looking for a little bit of a wake up then he might actually like the S1 better. The M62 whine sounds a lot better anyway and he wouldn't have to modify his exhaust or move the coolant bottle. It's up to him though.

If the decision comes to just top swapping the L27, it will work for a while; the real question is how long it will last. You might get an entire oil change or 2 out of it. Then there's also the question about whether the non-hd 4t60e will hold up to it.

Also just to clarify:

91-95 regal's were S1

96-04 regal is S2 (96 is the only 1st gen regal with the S2)

95 bonneville's and old's 88's had the S2

sorry bud but ive wrenched on two 95 regals with SII's (even with the badge on the back) and one 94 model year regal with the SII

i know the l36 was an extra cost RPO for the 95 model year but most were sold SI.

the SII L36 RPO was offered in the 95 olds, riv, regal etc which were produced in the later half of 94...

the 94 was an oddball, thing had the obd 1.5/DLC even...pretty sure it was a preproduction test mule as the guy bought it from a gm dealers auction in cali

SII been around for a while....

What badge on are you referring to on the back? If it had the tuned port injection badge then I guarantee someone swapped that engine in there. I'd be much more likely to think that someone is getting their dates wrong when they tell you it's a 95 or a 94. I could see gm producing a s2 95 if they were produced close to the 96 model year, but I have never ever seen a s2 in a 94 or 95 regal. I would love to see the first 11 digits of the vin number from one of these cars if you see it again.

Basically what I'm saying is that everything I've ever read seen or heard tells me that 96 was the one and only year you could get a 1st gen regal with a series 2 3800 from the factory. I can't find anything anywhere that tells me different. I've been in the 3800 crowd for a very long time and you are the only one to ever tell me anything different.

factory L36 95 model year regals don't exist. certain other platforms, yes, but not a W.

before compnine turned into its current iteration, i'm sure i looked for the existance of even one of them and found nothing, not even test mules.

ive worked on a 95 regal with the l36 and 3800 series II badge on the trunk lid. white with blue velour interior and landau top

i remember because the build date was in late 94 yet we ordered parts for a 96 and was not responsive to the proper model year on the snapon scanner until i ran it as a 96. trust me you remember a car as odd as this with an intermittent stalling problem...ive seen other oddities with "parts bin" vehicles.

you should see all the leftovers that the 04 regals got....almost like gm was using what they had laying around :lol:

im sure the bean counters are the one's that said "scrape the bottom of the barrel and we can build 34 more cars" :roll:

ive worked on a 95 regal with the l36 and 3800 series II badge on the trunk lid. white with blue velour interior and landau top

i remember because the build date was in late 94 yet we ordered parts for a 96 and was not responsive to the proper model year on the snapon scanner until i ran it as a 96. trust me you remember a car as odd as this with an intermittent stalling problem...ive seen other oddities with "parts bin" vehicles.

you should see all the leftovers that the 04 regals got....almost like gm was using what they had laying around :lol:

im sure the bean counters are the one's that said "scrape the bottom of the barrel and we can build 34 more cars" :roll:

interesting. What you are saying indicates it is either:

1 a 96 despite the 94 build date meaning it was a pre-production 96 model... an early test mule has been seen before such as Buck's comp G...

or

2 a stolen car with the fake/reused vin and labels attached.

or

3 total powertrain swap with a 96.

buck as in bucky?

ive come across two pre production 04+

rob silva's intense car (june 03 iirc)

and nick's (saturdaysGS) 04 cG with may of 03 build

and nicks car is a nightmare mix of parts

my fellow 3800 nutjob john (darkshadow, l67 90 bonnie) came across an 04 in his shop that had a dec 02 build date

the thing was put together too well for a swap but i know ive seen test mules up to 3/4 years before production. thing somehow got sold to the public...why let a potential car sale go to waste lol

its also a damn good part of why id never buy a 1st or 2nd model year car...the problems are usually sorted out by the third year of production...the years after that are full of "efficiency improvements/cost cutting" :lol:

buck as in bucky?

its also a damn good part of why id never buy a 1st or 2nd model year car...the problems are usually sorted out by the third year of production...the years after that are full of "efficiency improvements/cost cutting" :lol:

"Never fly the "A" model anything." Ed Thompson- USAF Test pilot

15887838_large.jpg

This is the exact same engine that my friend has in his '95 Regal.

So basically what you guys are saying is,it's not a good idead to drop a Supercharger on this engine?

Too bad it has 93 000km's :(

Edited by Buick666