Larger down pipe Tell me how Please

1979lee

Hey all.

Well my 97 lumina's running well now at 79k. and I'll be getting the duel outlet exhaust soon. there's a few monte and lumina;s at the junk yard with those right now.

but i searched this site and i see that these cars have a real POS tiny downpipe.

now my car is a 3100 v6. and Bone stock. i mean chalk marks and everything.

so how can i "fix" this tiny dp?

are there any factory dp's that flow well?

it looks like a very tight fit. so how big can i go with the pipe size, how big a pipe do i need?

what is the pipe size now? i read that its dbbl walled and like 1.5 inside? wow thats small. 3100 be exhausting through a "c" battery sized pipe is TINY:D

this is my daily driver. and car for the next 100k or more.

my plan would be to take off the down pipe and CATCON and go to my favorite mufller shop and have the pipe upped to single wall and what 2.25 inches?

will that work

thank you all in advance

2 or 2.25 sounds alright but more than likely you will have to fabricate a downpipe but don't get carried away with pipe size, as a N/A car you want some backpressure otherwise you may lose torque

thanks for the info guys.

no i do not plan to build the engine.

so 2.25 it will be.

how bad/hard is it to get the bolts off of the dp flange? it looke SMALL under there.

can i get to the bolts from the top under the hood.

my plan was to take the whole she-bang (dp and catcon)off the lumina and have the new larger pipe fitted at the muffler shop.

ive added some pic's ive had and found.

pic #5 is what id like to have done and welded up

post-2500-1436891402_thumb.jpg

post-2500-143689140222_thumb.jpg

post-2500-143689140292_thumb.jpg

post-2500-143689140338_thumb.jpg

post-2500-143689140574_thumb.jpg

This is mine thats currently on the car, until I get headers

DSC00906.jpg

Since yours is automatic, easiest way to get to the bolts (that I found) is to get them from under the car. Jack up the front enough where you can move around under the car. They are both 15mm bolts. Youll need about 2feet in extensions. 3/8" works fine, if you need more, use 1/2" ratchet. Youll have to go over the PS rack, and on the drivers side, go over the PS rack, and under the PS lines. Youll see what im talking about when you see it. those bolts are going to be dry, and they have a spring applying pressure on them. So dont expect them to come right off. Itll take a little bit.