Replaced vert door handles and now driver's side will not open...

Boydness

I read several posts, ordered replacement door handles, and installed them.

The passenger side went on fairly easily, although the handle is sticking out a bit.

On the driver's side, the door handle rod fell inside the door while trying to change it. Finally got it out/back in place and connected to the new handle assembly. While we were adjusting and testing it (with the door open) we found that the actuator rod for the door lock appeared to have popped out of its connection. The actuator rod end was popped back into the connection. After that the inner and outer handles worked fine moving the mechanism as we simulated the striker rod in the latch of the open door.

We put the door panel back on and closed the door.

Now it will not open, both handles fully extend, but the door will not move.:damnit1:

We managed to remove the lower door trim piece and unbolt the seat belt reel to see if we could feel the lock rod in place, which it seems to be...

Any ideas on how to get the door open again?!

:dunno:

Are you saying the even the inside handle won't get the door open? If so you need to feel inside the door where the latch mechanism is and push/pull down on where the rods attach. I realize it is a pain to get your hands in there (I broke the plastic clip that held my outside door latch and found it very hard to get in there, plus you can't see) very well. Shine a flashlight in before you stick your hand in to see the attachment points. On my car the latch moved without a huge amount of effort.

I've been there. Had to pull the door trim panel out as best I could and squeeze my hand into the door and tug directly on the inside of the latch mechanism with my fingertips. Can't remember if it was easier to reach while sitting in the seat or from behind crouched on the floor behind the front seat.

Definitely do-able, but undoubtedly painful.

Thanks for the replies.

Through the bottom opening in the driver's side door panel, I disconnected the rod from the plastic grommet and the inside handle opened the door just fine. I adjusted the position on the threaded rod and the door open and closed fine several times using the exterior handle. Then it stopped working again. The plastic grommet came off then next time that I tried disconnecting the rod. I noticed that the rod had tool marks around the bends, so someone must have taken pliers or something to it at one point, which might explain part or all of the issue maybe.

Where can I find a replacement rod and plastic grommet?

I am frustrated enough that I think a door popper is the best solution, but I can not seem to find any pics of someone installing a kit on this style of door. It has been done, right? Is it fairly easy?

:think: