Dex-Cool conversion

sas4ever

so I just bought a 98 grand prix gt 3.8..it has a 147k.. I want to do a dex-cool flush and convert to universal.. what do I need to do.. also anything I should be on the watch for.. all responses are appreciated..

I don't know much about this but what I have heard is that you have to flush very thoroughly with water a time or two until it's good and clear, then put the new stuff in. You absolutely do not want to cross contaminate the two - dexcool is not compatible with green antifreeze and will turn to sludge and cause major engine failure.

Peak global gold, compatible with any color. How do you know if someone hasn't already done that? I highly doubt with over 100k miles the water pump has never been replaced and that fixed.

Once the flush is done, don't forget to pull the radiator AND THE BLOCK drains to remove the flush water. Failure to do this will likely result in too-little antifreeze protection, as well as "trapped" sediment still remaining in the block.

Some Buick engines don't have block drains; Buick engineers must have been on drugs to make some of those mistakes. Aluminum oil pump, overhung distributor drive gear on the cam, etc.

IIRC, on the 3800s and its derivatives, the knock sensor(s) are the block drains?

Wouldn't surprise me. My Chevy pickup has one block drain "plugged" with a knock sensor. I know that some years, some Buick engines did not have block drains at all, and other years/other engines did have them. I've never had the opportunity to look at "accessible" no-block-drain blocks to see if the bosses are present, so that the drain holes could be drilled and tapped; or if there are no bosses cast into the block at all.

IIRC, on the 3800s and its derivatives, the knock sensor(s) are the block drains?

Yup, freaked me right out when I lost a piece of masking tape in one painting the block. Had to blow air down through to get it back out. L67