Gen I HUD for Grand Prix

ACTdryice

I have an 89 TGP and the HUD has stopped functioning.. It did light up, but what it projected made no sense. Anyone ever had this happen to them? Is it the unit on top of the dash that's gone bad? Any thoughts would help.

What do you get? Numbers that are wrong or totally hosed up characters? A photo may help as well if describing it is difficult.

Are any of its display functions correct? If so, then the connector may have one or more lose connections. If that is the case it is hopefully at the HUD and not a problem in the harness.

Did you install the HUD or was it factory? Have you been fiddling in the dash at all?

If the characters it displays are screwed up then it is likely the unit on top of the dash that has failed. More specifically, the IC that controls the actual LED characters themselves if not its main processor (which could be one and the same, I haven't looked at the circuitry in detail on my Olds HUDs.

I fear your electronics in the HUD may have just given up the ghost, but without inspection it is hard to say for sure (or which part for that matter). However, being 25+ years old, it seems like a good possibility. It may be as simple as a bad capacitor, but worst case the processor is toast.

that is exactly what i would do..... all electronics that come into my hands get resoldered before using if they're more than a few years old, regardless of testing good or bad. very few exceptions to this rule(generally only stuff as complex as a PCM or worse get avoided).

has brought a lot of stuff back to life and i would assume has prevented problems that would pop up in the future.

Absolutely right. Resoldering is always a good place to start. I keep forgetting that the first thing I look for is bad solder joints, or broken traces (far less common) as a matter of habit. See the entertainment in fixing the power seats in a Jag XK8 where a stupid mounting decision for the board causes it to have a trace partially abraded off.

My very far past background was one of assembling and repairing electronics and soldering everything by hand so it was in my best interest to make sure those solder joints were good. THis cannot be assumed for machine mass produced boards.