Help!!! 95 GP All lights flashing when door opens then doors lock after a few minutes

tar6569

Hi all,

This weird issue just developed with my grand prix 4dr today. I got home and went inside. When I came back out and opened the drivers door, all the lights started flashing with the ding you hear when using the key fob. And I mean pretty much all of the lights including all front and rear exterior lights (including center panels) and the dash lights too. Even the driver information center was blinking on and off. I was hearing the same noise I hear when I have the turn signal on. The back lights behind the headlight switch (knob) were flashing too. This continued (after I shut the door) for several minutes before the car locked the doors on its own. It stopped doing it when I was checking the fuses but it now doing it again. Since it seems to stop when the doors lock on their own, I don't think there is a concern of it wearing down the battery. I can start the car when it does this and it will go off after I drive for 5-10 seconds. The red blinking light to the left of the steering column that is made to like an alarm device blinks every second when the lights go out/are off. Can't recall if it always blinked that much.

I checked the owners manual and I don't see any feature that would cause the lights to do this. I checked all the fuses and none of the light/door lock fuses on the right side of the dash were blown. Now I'm looking through the service manual and don't see any symptoms shown for what I am experiencing.

The hazard flashers have never worked since I've owned the car so I'm not sure that would have anything to do with this. The car once had an add-on alarm which I removed and the only thing left of it is a wire that goes into a harness. The loose end of the wire sits up by the brake booster. One of the rear panel bulbs is out but the bulb should be good. I changed it out yesterday. Could be a bad connection. I'm just trying to list anything that may cause this.

Anyone experience this before?

Edit: one more note. I opened the trunk to check the rear bulbs and when I shut it, the lights all went on and stayed on (no flashing) and the ding was continuous (no second between dings). I got it to go off by unlocking the car with my key fob.

Edited by tar6569

On my way into work this morning, the lights pretty much flashed the whole way. However, putting on my headlights cancelled out the flashing. All I would hear was the flasher stat? ticking underneath the dash. Included with the interior lights flashing was the radio. The time and radio lights would flash on and off, one then the other, back and forth. So bizarre!

I figured it out! Hahaha turns out all this was caused by the alarm system. When I first got the car, I removed the siren under the hood but didn't remove anything else. Turns out this crazy setup was wired under the dash so I removed it all and problem solved. It has been wired into everything! And the flashers now work! They have never worked for as long as I owned the car. And yeah, the car was putting on quite a light show, like it was haunted.

20130917_165720_zpsb6103698.jpg

Edited by tar6569

• 1 month later...