Reprogramming Cluster

vyper144

Okay, so I'd much rather not pay out the ass at a dealer to have a cluster reprogrammed to display the correct odometer reading...

I bought an 00-05 Monte/Impala SS gauge cluster. My cluster displays my actual miles of ~160k. The new cluster displays ~210k.

I couldn't think of a reason why the team at GM who designs the clusters WOULD PROGRAM THE ODOMETER READING DIRECTLY INTO THE GODDAMN CLUSTER AND NOT IN SOMETHING LIKE THE ECU/BCM!!!

/rantover

I have been made aware that there is a federal law that prevents tampering with odometer readings. EXCEPT, I'm not looking to reduce the mileage, or modify it in any way, I just want to match it up with what I have right now, so when I replace the cluster after my top-swap, its accurate.

Anyone?

That law doesn't apply to matching your replacement odometer to current milage. Any dealer should be able to match it for you, but like anything from the dealer.... A 10 cent job will cost you $400.

Rolling the clusters forward is a piece of cake -- a square wave signal generator, set to an appropriate frequency will do the trick. Last time I did it, I used a computer sound card and a square wave generator program. Unfortunately, the roll-back process is secret and needs proprietary tools.

Rolling the clusters forward is a piece of cake -- a square wave signal generator, set to an appropriate frequency will do the trick. Last time I did it, I used a computer sound card and a square wave generator program. Unfortunately, the roll-back process is secret and needs proprietary tools.

Um, yea. If your a rocket scientist.

doesn't take a rocket scientist to setup a 555 timer to create the square wave necessary to run the cluster upwards. unfortunately, this only works with clusters that use those signals directly, depending on the vehicle, it gets its signal over the datastream(like the 00-05 impala/MC). that complicates things.