1992 3.1 Lumina - how to wire door plunger so it always registers as shut?

Chris2012

I have a tendency to leave my car doors open, front mostly, and wind up sending Wallyworld batteries to an early grave. So I unscrewed the plunger on the side of the driver door. Now what do I do? I'm guessing one of those wires needs to be grounded. The other I couldn't tell you. Apparently part of the mechanism stays in the car even when you altogether pull that plunger out (and disconnect the wires). I'm afraid I won't even get it back together. I can't even tell which wire goes on which side. Help.

I also noticed that leaving the back door/s open alleviates this problem. So I guess I could fiddle with the back door (and screw that one up too!).

*** just a quick clarification. It DOES NOT appear as if 1 of the wires needs to be grounded (one is white, the other is pink baby doll). Aamof if you ground either one to chassis, and key is in ignition, it squeals.

I clipped the connectors to keep the 2 wires disconnected. It seems to be the answer. BUT if you pull on those wires, you'll hear the key, meaning it's telling computer door is open. I'll need a more permanent reliable fix. Perhaps pull some of the plastic trim and see what's lurking behind.

Edited by Chris2012

bottom left corner: left front door switch.

shows a single switch that operates two circuits. when the switch is in the "door open" position, the circuit is grounded and the chime module operates the key warning alarm if the key is in the circuit. the other circuit is used for the interior light function.

i didn't upload the portion that shows the other switches, but they all seem to operate on the principle of "door open, close circuit".

How do you read this as there being something wrong with my doors?

I have a tendency to leave my car doors open..

I assumed you meant you didn't shut them forcefully enough, and the dome light stayed on.

You're telling me you just wander off without even trying to close the door?

Either way, this is not a door-switch problem.

Edited by Schurkey