99 Lumina - Instrument Cluster Removal

fredsmythson

I had a lamp burn out on the instrument cluster in my 99 Lumina and I'm attempting to replace it. I followed the shop manual instructions to remove the instrument cluster. I first removed the plastic panel and then took out the two screws holding the instrument cluster. I lifted up the instrument cluster and tilted it back. The instrument cluster started to slide out, but then it became stuck. There isn't enough room between the dashboard and the steering column to remove it. I tried a variety of different positions in order to remove the instrument cluster, but no luck removing it.

I must be missing something. Does the instrument cluster lens need to be removed first? Thanks...

Thanks for the info! Yes, my Lumina is a column shift. Looking at how the instrument cluster is designed, dropping the column a few inches would not give anymore clearance for the instrument cluster. In this design, the instrument cluster is installed in a plastic box that is one piece. There is a lens and a backing plate that can be removed from the instrument cluster, so I will try to remove these items to see if it will give anymore clearance...

Iirc, there are about 4 bolts holding the column up. Just drop it and set it on the seat and you can get the cluster out just fine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

removing the lens won't give you any more room.... just drop the column down to the bottom of the threads of the studs that hold it in and you'll have about 2" more space, which is enough to get the cluster out.

If I remember right, I think you have to pull the bottom of the cluster out towards you first and tip the top back and it should slide out.

But yeah, no reason to take the lens off. I've had mine out many times without issue.

with the column dropped, i want to say i started the bottom out first to disconnect the shifter indicator, then probably rotated it back and pulled top first? i don't know, i've had the monte torn apart for a few weeks, i'm sure i'll find out soon enough when i put that back in.