fuel problem?

ismellrealbad

hello. heres a new wonderful question for everyone. lately ive noticed during turns my car hesitates (like its running out of gas). Then one day i noticed that on left hand turns the gas guage sharply drops down to E (all the way from 1/2 tank) and then returns to normal. during that period of time is when it hesitates, but not everytime. wtf? give me ideas and ill give you more information. also i realise the guage fluctuates with motion (turning braking acceleration) but latley its doing it 5 times more than it should

It almost sounds like you really are running low on gas , Maybe the gage needs calibrated?

Does it do it all the time, or just when near empty?

The sending units for these are 90 ohm units (I think). Usually the way it works is 90 ohms=full , o Ohms= empty.

Well 0 Ohms also equalls a "short" , while infinite ohms = an "open".

So if you are reading a short earlier than normal, maybe the sending unit needs adjusment.

Just a theory.

its reading the gas level correctly, in fact i think the gas guage is fine. is the tank pressurized when the car is on? it seems like its not, which is what is causing the level to goto E on a turn. the gas is moving around too much and on a turn there is nothing going to the engine. why its doing this is the question

The float and sending unit is probably failing, loose, etc. Also, other broken plastic compartments might be interferring with the fuel sending unit and float.

It would be cheaper to purchase a whole gas tank with complete sending unit from junkyard. I got mine for $50. I remember one folks here got it for $25.

Check your tranny fluid level. If its low, the pump may suck air when you turn and loose pressure.

I keep mine a little over full.

Though this didn't feel like a running out of gas hesitation for me (more of a loss of power slipping feel) , its still worth checking.

tranny fluid is overfilled by 1 qt (and that last qt was lucas) so its not that. not a slipping feel, its running out of gas feel. actually its not only on turns anymore its whenever it damn pleases

im replacing the filter tomrrow, and the system treatment was added today. ill let yall know how it comes out. like i said if i have to replace the pump then its bye bye grand prix. ive had enough of this car's shit :evil:

Heh, you shouldn't give up on the car that easy, you think you got it bad, you should try owning a 3.4.

I've had just about everything that's notoriusly bad on these cars give out on mine :)

Look at the bright side, you're car still looks great!

Mine did that too. Here's how I fixed it

Relearn your Idle, pull the ECM fuse and replace, turn the car on and shift to drive (with your foot on the brake) and let it idle for 5 mins, shut it off. then repeat this process again.

If the problem continues, plug in a computer, check for codes, your fuel pump may be losing its prime...I got a new fuel pump for $90 CAD, notihng big, install is easy. New filter, and I was smooth cruising. But I bet it is your Idle sequence... have you disconnected the battery anytime recently? Cause that could easily do it.

Mine did that too. Here's how I fixed it

Relearn your Idle, pull the ECM fuse and replace, turn the car on and shift to drive (with your foot on the brake) and let it idle for 5 mins, shut it off. then repeat this process again.

If the problem continues, plug in a computer, check for codes, your fuel pump may be losing its prime...I got a new fuel pump for $90 CAD, notihng big, install is easy. New filter, and I was smooth cruising. But I bet it is your Idle sequence... have you disconnected the battery anytime recently? Cause that could easily do it.

the idle relearn will only affect the position of the iac so it will only make a difference when the throttle is closed. i'd say it's the pump/sending unit.

hmm... strange! i had to do an idle re-learn cause i left the lights on in my car for 2 days and it drained the batt. Only thing that was affected was the way the car ran when the throttle was closed.

the problem seemed to have magically gone away since last night all through today after adding some fuel system treatment to a full tank.......then i went off doing 102mph so that pumped it thru the system very well :oops:

and idle relearn wouldnt help because it has nothing to do with my idle, it never does it while i idle

:? jsut tryign to help, jeeze :(

i guess for some reason that soundsed like i awas being an asshole, i was not. i was just talking normally. anyways now its back again. i think it doesnt do it if i have a full tank..i dunno i give up. bah