Fuel Filter relocation and fuel line heat shielding

rich_e777

Looking to get some insight into moving the fuel filter and fuel lines. For the exhaust setup I want the filter would be in the way so I need to move that to a better location, I was thinking back some closer to the tank. Looks like its just a in line filter and doesn't really matter where its at as long as its on. Then at least once the exhaust and fuel lines will cross underneath the drivers side and my thoughts were to form a piece of aluminum or steel to make a heat shield between the two. What I would like is to have the cat. conv. moved up about a foot and put a y split about where the shifter is and run the exhaust out under the door, black glasspacks then a black turndown tip in front of the rear wheels. Is this something that sound do-able or am I dreaming up shit again? And has anyone ever come across flat exhaust components?:think:

As long as its still installed and functional how is it a problem? Just want to have it 3 inchs after the downpipe vs a foot and a half.

As long as its still installed and functional how is it a problem?

Because of Federal intrusion into the lives of ordinary citizens. Blame Congress and the NHTSA. The logic is that the converter needs to be placed where the heat shielding is, so the carpet doesn't catch fire if the converter overheats.

If he does not have any form of inspection or emissions regulations where he lives, why does it matter? Those vary state by state, and sometimes county by county within said state.

i was going to do a similar setup when i had my cutlass; but single glasspack in place of the cat, split the exhaust at the first bend, and exit out each side. i ended up just exiting out the passenger side. so it had a glasspack and 1 bend in the pipe. even with the turbo it was really loud

From your first scolding(Schurkey) I was under the impression that it had to be a certain distance from a O2 sensor or something to that effect. Heat shielding is nothing hard to do if that's the case. Piece of sheet aluminum cut to sort of fit and then mount with spacers so air can flow between the shield and car body. Rubber mallet will form the metal, wont be pretty but I can with this method extend the factory shielding as much as I need. Been researching flex fuel lines and the filter relocation looks like a do-able project. Where the lines will have to cross the exhaust im thinking of just running that section through the cockpit underneath the drivers seat.

Edited by rich_e777

i was going to do a similar setup when i had my cutlass; but single glasspack in place of the cat, split the exhaust at the first bend, and exit out each side. i ended up just exiting out the passenger side. so it had a glasspack and 1 bend in the pipe. even with the turbo it was really loud
I bet it was, only thing I really do not like single exhaust outlets. Might be a OCD thing. I did ask a guy once that dropped a fortune on a supra why he spent $700-$800 on an exhaust system but not get dual outlets, his explanation was that it saved weight:shrug: But he also put on a few hundred pounds worth of bodykit, speakers, and a parkbench he bolted to his trunk.

In TN you have to have a Cat. Conv. but because mines an older model they don't test as many things. IIRC once I get my antique plates I wont have to worry about the cat no more. got about 3 or 4 more years give or take. I think she`ll make it.:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

i went as far as buying the tips for the dual side exits and never used them. they are both still sitting in my garage in their packaging, and this is like 5 years later. hope you can get it done

i went as far as buying the tips for the dual side exits and never used them. they are both still sitting in my garage in their packaging, and this is like 5 years later. hope you can get it done
I know what you mean, Ive got so many parts for this car its almost unhealthy, almost. Just need a few odds and ends and a few bushings and I`ll be complete, I think.