looking for knowldgable people wrt w body and the various types of suspensions

raemore

Hello to all and one....

I bought w 94 cutlass conv....neat little car!

suspension not so neat!

the one piece front strut assy good for production bad for modification... same with rear transvers spring type assy.

question... do any of the pontiac or z34 or montecarlo or generaly more performance oriented w body cars have suspensions that will bolt into place (to the cutlass 94) with min to mild modification?

i saw a grand am in wrecking yard had really nice dual adj tie rods going to each lower hub very nice setup ....is that grand am a w body?

ANY info on this would be appreciated

thanks

/a

with min to mild modification?

No. Building your own rear coilovers are the simplest suspension re-engineering you could do.

And Grand Ams are N-bodies

Coil overs seem easy enough (I've never done them though) and its cheap and easy enough to get 4 adjustable lateral links.

First you need to do a little research on the top in which you wish to discover. The gen 1 cars and gen 1.5 cars have the same exact front suspension. All you really need here is a good set of lowering springs, and good struts. Nobody makes a stock "performance" spring, so itll have to be lowered to get any type of performance. Struts alone wont do very much.

The rear, there are choices, however still involve lowering to get any type of "performance" out of it. You can go with an aftermarket monoleaf, or coilovers. You can search how to build your own coilovers since there are a million threads about this. Theres still plently on the after market mono leafs.

If your looking to change the suspension completely to a newer car, your in for alot of work, and alot of money. More so than the options I listed above. And even after thats done, it still will not handle as good as a lowered car with good springs up front and a good monoleaf/coilovers ( assuming you have the right spring rate on the springs )

But then again it depends on the amount of money you wish to spend. Building your own coilovers has gotten more expensive and is now in the $300+ range. Unless you use used parts from another member, but I rarely see stuff like that for sale.

The best thing you can do is research. There has been plently of topics about this. Sorry if I come across like an asshole, but honestly, not enough people search on this forum. And it does work, since I was using it not 15 minutes ago.