Traction Control Default Off

pwmin

I'm sick of stupid traction control always coming on and I always forget to turn it off when I start the car. I jumped a couple connections on the connector so it's always turned off, but I was wondering if there was a way to have it so the default is off, but I can still use the switch to turn it on instead of the opposite way. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

http://i.imgur.com/NmVXoJC.png

if this is correct.... then a momentary switch is used. i wouldn't think you would be able to bridge anything in the connector to have it default to off?

momentary switches work off of the software reading them looking for the signal to transition high to low(or low to high) and then back again, indicating a single button press. doing it again causes the same signal pattern.

in this instance.... a current limited +12V is fed into it. with the button not pressed, roughly ignition voltage is seen at B11 of connector C1 on the EBTCM. when the button is pressed, the current instead makes it's way to G203, causing the voltage seen at the EBTCM to appear as 0 volts(a high to low transition), when the button is released, it should come back up to ignition voltage(low to high transition). it's POSSIBLE that the EBTCM only wants to see the high to low transition before it considers the button being pressed and wants to see the low to high before it considers it pressed again.

if the above statement is true, all you need to do is setup a time-delay circuit that will automatically ground the circuit for a short amount of time(let's say 1/2 second), then release the ground. after that, the time-delay circuit will act as if it is not there, allowing you to manually enable traction control at will after it does it's job. there are a couple of cheap/simple ways of doing this that come to mind, the one i would go through due to simplicity would be a 555 circuit.

since it seems you can jumper the circuit and have it disable traction control, you could setup a 555 to immediately bring the circuit down to ground after key-on, hold it there for ~10 seconds(or whatever reasonable value that the EBTCM will allow), afterwards the 555 quits controlling the circuit until the next key-cycle, allowing you to turn it on and off at-will.

make sense?

I think I got it. Thanks a bunch. I figured you would at least be able to figure out how it works. I'm not sure why it works by bridging the two connections, but it does. The only thing I don't know is if I hit the button if it will turn on. I just have it bridged in the connector, so I guess I could try bridging it outside the connector and see if that works. I think that would be easier, but I doubt that will work. If not, I'll try rigging up your idea. Thanks again.