ABS Light coming on a lot lately...

mchill07

In the past few weeks the antilock brake light has been coming on randomly. But when I restart the car it's always off. Today it's raining and the light has come on again, And this leads me to believe that either a Wheel sensor is dirty or going bad. Can they be cleaned and what would you use? Does only the front have sensors?

My `94 CS has them in the rear as well. I`d sure try to clean them up some before replacing. You actually just reminded me to pull mine off and play around with them for awhile. My ABS light shows up when I use my E-flashers or slide around in the rain or snow. IIRC I think you just unplug them and use a socket to thread them out similar to the temp. sensor next to the thermo. housing. I don't know what numbers you should get if you take a multimeter to them but I`d be interested in that info as well.

i might be able to pull that info...

the only way to be 100% on what is causing the light is to actually scan them though.

with 1/1.5G W-bodies with ABS-VI, there are 4 wheel speed sensors and 3 ABS channels. there's also 2 other items controlled by the ABS module that only apply to the front wheels, but i forget what they are. solenoids of some type.

My light was doing that this winter. It would come on if I hit a bump or went through a puddle. It is on all the time now because I drove through a flooded portion of the road,(it was raining so hard I couldn't see that it was flooded.) I looked under the car yesterday and found that a good 5 feet of wire is just gone from the rear ABS. So I would say to check your wiring as well. You may have a loose connection/broken wire that is still making some contact.