95' GP HUD Instrument Pannel Topper.

mchill07

I Have a HUD and switch on the way but I'm having trouble locating a 94'-96' Upper dash bezel with the HUD opening. Looking for one preferably in graphite but any color will do in a pinch!

If someone has one or could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Edited by mchill07

HUD module and control switch came today...It is genuinely Plug and Play! One question I now have is how exactly is the windshield for the HUD different. I know its got something to do with glare. I can see the display perfectly in sunlight without the proper windshield but there is reflection from the screen/module. Is this what the proper windshield is for, to reduce the reflection of the module it's self?

There's been a lot of debate about this over the years. Some claim they are completely different glass, others claim they are just buffed (or something to that effect) over the area that the HUD is displayed, some say they're just "A-grade" windshields from each production batch, etc. I'm pretty sure either the last claim is true, or there's no difference at all. I highly doubt they have any kind of special glass, or are even treated in a certain way for HUD. I've installed a HUD in several '94 - '96 GPs, and sold quite a few others for Gen I AND Gen II. Never had or heard a complaint about it not showing up fine even in direct sunlight. I had the windshield in my GTP replaced by some random Mexicans late last year with what I'm sure is cheapo glass (DEFINITELY wasn't HUD specific), and I can see the display perfectly, albeit it the numbers are smaller for some reason (probably has more to do with the quality of the glass to begin with).

As to the reflection of the internal HUD display, that has happened on every factory HUD equipped GP I've driven if the sunlight catches it at just the right angle. Unless it's a different issue where you're seeing it all the time, the "proper" HUD windshield will not remedy that.

Very good to know! I read somewhere late last nite that HUD specific windshields are thicker at the bottom than at the top, providing a better a "True" focused image that doesn't appear doubled or blurry.

Weather this is true or not is questionable. They said the tapered glass provides a better projection angle. In the GP aspect, as far as I know all 94'-96' are prewired for HUD and DIC. This tells me that It was defiantly a factory installed option or one that could be latter added by dealer or owner without major modification. My HUD looks good depending on where you look at it. It's visible in sunlight except for extreme wash-out situations like when there is direct sunlight or you pull up on a white car. The image really looks good when driving on dark not faded roads and at night.

95 Vert HUD? By the way i was in process of replacing my instrument cluster and i found toggles tied up behind my light switch. THey look exactly like connectors for my GP Hud, wires are in same location and size/color... anyone else come upon this? looks like 2nd gear start connector too

post-5429-143689131783_thumb.jpg

I had a 93 CS conv. I sold It in January. The 95' GP is it's replacement. Got it in Feb of this year. I am currently upgrading it to the GTP interior. It's only an SE semi base coupe. I preferred it that way. As much as I liked the performance of the 3.4, I just wanted somthing easy to maintain and reliable. The GP did come with CD player and SWC. My next mod will be adding the over head console which I already have in the garage.

Edited by mchill07