Rear View Mirror

pwmin

The mirror on my 98 Regal is pretty loose, especially at the ball joint or whatever it's called, the one closest to the mirror. Every time I listen to something with significant bass of certain frequencies, it drops down rendering it useless. I can't figure out a way to tighten it, so I'm thinking about replacing it, but I'm not sure how the wires come out. Do I need to cut and splice them? What mirrors are plug&play? I don't really care about auto dim or compass or anything, but I would still like to keep the map lights. I would like to be able to order something from GM, probably, so I know it will be tight instead of getting something new.

What mirror do you have? Do you have pics? I have a couple of auto-dim with map lights.
It has two map lights and a button to turn auto-dim on and off. That's all I really care to have.

thanks. sorry I missed that. I'll have to read that more intently in a bit. I don't want to have the same problem of it being loose if I get a used one, so I'm wondering if I should just order a new one.

Adjust it into a good position, then super glue the joint. :lol:
I thought about taping it with electrical tape lol but that sounds like a better idea haha

If it's in your '98 Regal GS, then you most likely have this mirror:

Mirror2.jpg

The problem is they stopped making that style mirror long ago, so the chances of finding one new are slim to none. Even if you COULD find a new one, it would run you at LEAST $200. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about. A used one should be fine. If you have a sub, while there's a better chance of this happening on a replacement mirror again, it's not very likely. However, if you're just on the factory size speakers, the chances of the replacement doing the same thing are pretty low. As far as the wires, you will have a 7-pin harness on the back that just unplugs, so that part's easy. Removing the mirror from your windshield is the trickier part because most of these newer type mirrors don't use a simple torx screw. They have a spring clip inside the bracket that has to be pushed down pretty hard in order to clear the windshield button and allow the mirror to slide up over it and out. The style is slightly different on Donnellys like the one in your car, but the method of removing them is the same. The problem becomes you have to be very careful while applying this pressure to not break the windshield. I have some detailed pics in that thread illustrating what you're trying to do. I swapped out the mirror in Euro's Regal GS a few months ago with the same mirror as above, and my sister's GTP a few weeks back (the GPs used the same mirror but without map lights because they had overhead domes with lights). Those both cooperated, and the removal went smoothly, but sometimes they can be very stubborn, though I've found these Donnelly mirrors cooperate better than the Gentex and later style Donnelly clips.

As far as your options are concerned, since you already have the most important wires for your current mirror (+12v and negative wires for auto dimming, and map lights wiring) in a 7-pin connector, and the majority of domestic mirrors use the same size windshield button, you have a lot of choices. Use the pics in the link below for a reference:

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/53722-Mirrors-mirrors-and-MORE-mirrors!-oh-yeah-and-I-have-some-mirrors-too

You can go with the same kind as you have (mirror #2), you can go with a newer Gentex with auto-dim and LED map lights like those found in the older Chrysler Sebring convertibles (http://tinyurl.com/mqsxgy3), there were the older mirrors out of the Chevy Caprice and Buick Roadmasters with auto-dim and map lights only (#3), or if you don't care about the auto-dimming, those same 2 cars had a version of the same mirrors that were in the Gen I w-bodies with map lights, but had a compass added in the corner (#1). Only the last 2 will require cutting and splicing because they use a completely different style harness. The others should be plug and play.

Thanks for all the info! and yes that's the one I have. Looks like I'll be getting a Chrysler one from Jay. I just had my windshield replaced last year, so hopefully it isn't too hard to get off since it's been removed fairly recently. The superglue thing as a temporary fix didn't work, lol. I have a Dayton 10" Reference HO sub.