Re-sync Gears on Blendor door actuator

dodgethis

Does anyone have a link that will show me how to re sync the gears in the actuator? I have spent an hour playing hell trying to set the gears to line up at the mid point of the actuator, while having the climate control set at midpoint. Anyone have any good ways to try to line it up? I have the old one, and tried to line it up like the old, but no dice. Right now the climate is set all the way to cold right now, and thats what I am aiming for. I was lucky enough to find a 95 lumina that still had an actuator without a cracked main gear.

What I am trying to do is manually move the gears so that when i hook it up to the car, it will move to the correct setup. If i change the climate either all the way hot or cold, it will go too far to the limit and will destroy itself. I have tried to move the gears a little to get it to line up correctly, but i cannot get it to line up right in the middle, which would make since if the climate was set in the middle.

See if you can follow this with out pictures.

The large drive gear has to be in time with the small blue timing gear.

There are centering timing marks on the front and back side of the actuator.

1-You place the temp control in the center position.

2-Plug the actuator into the wire connector and let it hang loose.

3-Torn the ignition key to run and count to 10.

4-Turn the key to off.

5-Remove the actuator and look at the back side and you will see how far it is out of time.

There is a plastic notch marking the center position and the metal shaft has a square flange that should be lined up with the notch.

On the front side you have two timing notches in the metal shaft that should be straight up and down when timed right.

If the parts are not lined up mark the position of the metal flange on the back plastic with a marker.

Make an alignment mark on the blue gear and the circuit board because the blue gear is now in its timed center position.

Remove the top white idler gear so you can pull out the drive gear.

Put your right thumb on the blue gear so it does not move.

Wiggle out the drive gear and put it back in with the two metal slots straight up and down.

Put the white idler gear back in and remove your thumb from the blue gear.

Make sure the blue gear is still in the same position.

Put two screws holding the face on the actuator and repeat steps 1-5.

If you did it right the timing marks will line up on the front and the back of the actuator.

Ron, Thank you very much for the instructions. I will give it another shot once I get off from work. Shouldn't be a problem getting back under the glove box, as everything is already taken apart.

Ron, wanted to thank you again for the instructions. They worked great! I was able to get it back into correct timing, and the car is back together. Worth the effort for a 6 dollar part. :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

If the blend door actuator looks like the one in the above picture it will work.

The part numbers can vary but they work the same.

The reason these actuators go bad is because the large plastic gear with the metal shaft in the center cracks.

Once the plastic gear cracks the actuator motor just moves the big plastic gear around the metal shaft and doesn’t move the blend door.

Some where around 1994 –95 they made some actuators with large Blue plastic gears that did not seem to crack. I had to pull about 10 actuators at the salvage yard to find one with a Blue gear.

The actuator looks to be same. When I took it apart the gears were fine and the alignment is good. But I still get no heat. The buttons for bi-level, upper, & lower work as they should, as does the AC. I do have a 1994 ACC in my 1992 car, could that be the problem?