Strange thing happened tjis morning.

Reride

I went to jump start my '92 CSC this morning and something strange happened. Something under the hood started humming and smoke was rising from under upper intake manifold and then it spit hard enough to blow the vacuum lines off the throttle body. The battery charger was hooked up to the remote positive post and the ground was connected to the dog-bone mount on the motor, a 3.1 BTW. Now it will barely pass power to anything in the car, none of the dash stuff will light up, yet the power windows and door locks work correctly. Does anyone have any ideas what took a dump? It would not crank when I tried to jump it either.

Edited by Reride

a bunch of questions.. does it turn over? I would pull the battery and charge it away from the car (make sure it is good). Check your fuse set on the passenger side near the front wheel well. That misfire could be a number of things.. I imagine somewhere a lead near the post, or at the back of the engine was grounded. How high was your charger setting when you tried to jump it?

Unfortunatly it does not turn over and there is no power to any thing on the dash, yet the power widows and door locks work. I did remove the battery from the car and charged it. It took a charge and is still holding it. The charger is a roll around type and was in front of the car on concrete when happened. It was set on 10 amps.

so was the engine running when the vacuum lines shot off?

humming would describe the noise an inductor might make when it's getting switched on and off rapidly. you have 3 very powerful ones operating your ignition.

solenoids can also hum, and given the "under the upper intake" statement, i would take a look at the injectors.

Maybe a fusible link burned up? You can check for 12 volts with a test light at the battery connection on the alternator and starter, especially while holding the ignition in the crank position.

Hey there RobertlSaar, The car never cranked the solenoid just clicked so I jumped it. When I went to start it with the charger attached it didn't click any longer just the hum and I saw the smoke and ran to disconnect the charger. before I could get the charger disconnected is when it spit real hard. I won't be able to get back to the investigation until this Saturday. I plan to pull alt, starter, UIM, and check the harness from alt. to remote positive terminal and to starter.

Jman093, You are most likely correct about the fusible link. It saved the car from burning to the ground. My concern is what caused it to blow the fusible link. My best guess at this point is the power wire from the altenator to remote positive terminal shorted somewhere (most likely to an ignition wire or a injector wire or both to cause the backfire.)

You said the ground was hooked up to the dogbone, isn't that isolated by rubber bushings?

edit - oh, dogbone mount on engine. sorry, never mind

• 2 weeks later...

Well after spending last weekend testing the altenator, starter, fusible links, and all the wiring and under hood power centers, I started checking the grounds. what I found was a bad ground. The large #6 ground wire that runs from the block to chassis. It looked okay but when I pulled at it, it came apart. I guess with a bad ground the electricity had to find it way through smaller wires causing all the smoke and also causing the hum. The starter seemed okay but a little slow so I replace it with an '05 Imppy one. The car starts and runs just fine now. What caused the engine to backfire when it was not cranking....I still have no idea. I want to thank everyone that offered suggestions for them.

injectors filled it up with gas or something from the short and compression hydraulically locked up shit in there.

this should be a huge wake up call for all you guys who refuse to fix your ground straps.

it is well documented on this site but nobody searches. I have explained about this millions of times and even built that cable for some people. but most people remain in complete denial. good job on finding and fixing this on your own!

it should be a sticky :ATTENTION BEFORE STARTING A THREAD AND ASKING LITERALLY ANY QUESTION REPLACE THIS WIRE!!!!!

:lol:

OK, quick re-read and you say it wasn't even cranking?

my guess is that a short lit the fuel mixture in the intake somehow from a hot sensor coil ? kind of like a glow plug and it exploded? who knows, but that is weird.

I used a wire brush to clean the treads on the stud and at the chassis attaching point, as well as the flanges for the three BLK/WHT ground wires that attach to the block at the same location as the ground cable. As for the cylinder cook-off, that will remain a mystery known only to the automotive gods.